Skip to content
New songs, push for...

Notifications
Clear all

New songs, push for speed or get it perfect first?

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@stacktrayce)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have been playing since around April and am still definitely a beginner. I have exercises and other stuff I do, but I am also trying to learn some new songs. So here is a question about this type of practice (and keep in mind many of these songs are good technique practice for me too since I am so new to guitar): is it better to make sure you can completely nail the song easily on a slow speed (like 50bpm) before moving on to full tempo (talking 100bpm songs) or should I push myself with faster tempos while making mistakes to force myself to try to keep up?

(@Anonymous)

You have to start at a slower tempo, there is no question about it. If you practice at full speed, you will be making mistakes and actually you will be practicing those mistakes and they won't go away... Pick out a speed that's comfortable for you and work your way up. You'll get there a lot faster than if you try to play the song at full speed right away, and you'll be able to play the song more accurately.

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

You have to start at a slower tempo, there is no question about it. If you practice at full speed, you will be making mistakes and actually you will be practicing those mistakes and they won't go away... Pick out a speed that's comfortable for you and work your way up. You'll get there a lot faster than if you try to play the song at full speed right away, and you'll be able to play the song more accurately.

Agree

But you can also practice your chord change faster than you're actually able to and your finger will get in place faster with practice. Strum the chord even if you finger are not totally in place, follow the beat of your metronome

I don't remember who gave this advice but it's a useful one. :wink:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

But you can also practice your chord change faster than you're actually able to and your finger will get in place faster with practice. Strum the chord even if you finger are not totally in place, follow the beat of your metronome

I don't remember who gave this advice but it's a useful one. :wink:
As AK says, if you practice a mistake, you'll never get rid of it. Always get the music or chord changes right before building up speed. If you have the piece down pat, you'll be more relaxed, when playing it - which allow you to get more speed, without necessarily realising it. If you're tense and cramped (which you will be if you're uncertain that you can play it correctly and at full speed), you'll only hamper your efforts.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Practice makes permanent.

Always demand unerring excellence from yourself when you practice. Play at a tempo that allows you to play exactly what you want, in time. What the tempo is pales in comparison to being able to play accurately.

Speed will come in time. And there are exercises you can do to increase your finger strength and agility. For example, take two chords that you find difficult to change between. Strum once every measure at a tempo that you find easy to make the chord changes. Increase your metronome by 3-5 bpm (you DO practice with a metronome, right?!) and play it again, keep doing that until you can't play it perfectly anymore. If you do that every day, you'll find the speed you have to stop at increases pretty rapidly.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Slow but sure always wins the race. Perfect first, speed later! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

8)
But what is "perfect" everytime I hit "good enough" in my mind I try to add something else. Perhaps a different voicing of the chord or a counter rythmn.

Besides playing a classical clarinet piece I've never been concerned with perfect. I'd go crazy with the stress :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

8)
But what is "perfect" everytime I hit "good enough" in my mind I try to add something else. Perhaps a different voicing of the chord or a counter rythmn.

Besides playing a classical clarinet piece I've never been concerned with perfect. I'd go crazy with the stress :wink:

"Perfect" is relative to skill level. Most of my students, in my experience, however, accept far less than they are capable of as "good enough." The result is that they don't progress nearly as well as they could if they had higher standards for themselves.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote