Trusted Member
Topic starter  

e -
B 8
G 9
D -
A 7
E -

Tabs that contain things like that. I've no idea how to play them without possibly muting the d string, but I understand that you can fingerpick two strings (possibly three? quite difficult for me) at the same time although now that I've bought a twelve string, I can't fingerpick at all. I thought that you weren't able to, but this guys music seems to tell me different

http://www.folkofthewood.com/page5456.htm

I want to sound like that!

We're like The Beatles, except there's four of us.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Well, it's not a chord that I can tell. Tried strumming it muting the D string and it sounded awful so it has to be finger picking. Could use hybrid picking which is pick the A string with the pick and the G&B with the ring finger.

Just curious but what tab is this from?

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Good
(@good)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well, it's not a chord that I can tell. Tried strumming it muting the D string and it sounded awful so it has to be finger picking. Could use hybrid picking which is pick the A string with the pick and the G&B with the ring finger.

Just curious but what tab is this from?

Ah, no I just made that one up as I couldn't think of any specific examples at the time. But these two are included in a tab for Jimi Hendrix's Purple Haze on Powertabs.net . Hybrid picking? I'll look into it, I see there's an article here on guitarnoise. Thanks.

- -
3 5
4 6
5 7
- -
3 5

We're like The Beatles, except there's four of us.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

- -
3 5
4 6
5 7
- -
3 5

If it was me, I would wrap my thumb around for the bass notes and mute the 5th string with my thumb as well and strum through it.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I think I have an example of what Good is talking about.

-
-

Steppenwolf - The Pusher

EDIT capo on the 2nd, tab relative to capo

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

If I was playing it I would just mute the d string, you never know tabs can be incorrect. The only other way to play all the notes together would be to fingerpick it: i'd be VERY surprised if someone can honestly play all the notes evenly at a quick tempo with hybrid picking or by picking but not hitting the d string.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

is it chicken picking where you flatpick the bass note and play the rest with your fingers? anyway, you could do that... i'd just mute, though.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yes, you're supposed to mute those strings. In the example of Hendrix, wrap your thumb around to grab the sixth string. Hendrix and Townshend often played the E-shaped barre chords this way.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote