Clear all

open chords to barre chords

22 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

ok, I've been working on a particular song recently that has been causing me issues.
"Science Fiction Double Feature", from the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" soundtrack. It is supposed to go like this:

A-G
F-E
repeat

Chorus
D-E-A-F#m

Not a lot of chords. Pretty easy rhythm. My problem is with the F#m. It doesn't sound correct, not to mention, the transition from A to F#m is pretty tough. Any ideas? I would say it is the wrong chord, but that is the only one I have seen online in any of the tabs.

Also, I have noticed in this song, and others. When transitioning between open and barre chords, the barres always sound... out of place. They have a different sound to them, and it stands out. Open chords sound clean and pure, barres sound sort of hollow by comparison. I'm pretty sure it isn't me playing them incorrectly, as all of the strings sound correctly. Is there a way to avoid this, it is kind of jarring.

KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I just listened to the song on YouTube
and then played the D E A F#m and it sounded right to me.
Are you sure you're playing F#m and not Fm?
I think that would be 244222.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

You know... I think I was playing it 133111. I'll have to check when I get home.

ReplyQuote
 EMT
(@emt)
Trusted Member

what's 244222 and 133111?

red meat doesn't kill you, fuzzy green meat does.

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

The chords.

133111 <--- is Fm, its like a tab, you play the 1st fret in the 1st, 2nd 3rd, and 6th strings and the 4th and 5th strings u play in the 3rd fret.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

They are actual numerical representations of the fingerings.

The first one is the fingering for an F#m barre chord and the second one is for Fm (not F as Coolnama just wrote).

You read numerical fingerings from left to right and the first number is the fret played on the low E string. If the number is a "0" then the string is played open. "x" means don't play the string. The second number is the fret played on the A string and so on.

The regular open position Em chord is written out as "022000". C major would be "x32010."

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@frankyl)
Eminent Member

ok, I've been working on a particular song recently that has been causing me issues.
"Science Fiction Double Feature", from the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" soundtrack. It is supposed to go like this:

A-G
F-E
repeat

Chorus
D-E-A-F#m

Not a lot of chords. Pretty easy rhythm. My problem is with the F#m. It doesn't sound correct, not to mention, the transition from A to F#m is pretty tough. Any ideas? I would say it is the wrong chord, but that is the only one I have seen online in any of the tabs.

Also, I have noticed in this song, and others. When transitioning between open and barre chords, the barres always sound... out of place. They have a different sound to them, and it stands out. Open chords sound clean and pure, barres sound sort of hollow by comparison. I'm pretty sure it isn't me playing them incorrectly, as all of the strings sound correctly. Is there a way to avoid this, it is kind of jarring.
Would it sound especially wrong if you played the chorus with an open D, open E, slide to a 5th fret barred A, slide back to a 2nd fret barred F#m? Sometimes playing that different voicing just doesn't work, but that was my first thought on seeing the chorus. Basically, once you're playing the E, using your middle, ring and pinky to fret the notes, it's just moving up and down the fretboard a little bit to go to the other two. Also avoids the change between open and barre.

Shoot, with that G chord barred at the 3rd fret in the verse, you could play the whole song as E shapes within five frets, other than that pesky D.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Shoot, with that G chord barred at the 3rd fret in the verse, you could play the whole song as E shapes within five frets, other than that pesky D.
Yep, I was going to say that . . .almost the whole song can be played with barre chords . . . there . . . I just did.
But at least the pesky D is played in between the E . . . which makes it easier . . . than if it was after the barre A (which would be further away)

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I tried to play the whole thing in barres the other day after I realized my mistake with the F#m fingering.

The verses work great, and it sounds good, but that D kills it. Oh well, it gives me a reason to practice my barre to open chord transitions.

ReplyQuote
 EMT
(@emt)
Trusted Member

cool, thanks.

ok another question. Fm is F minor? whats F#m?
and is is ther an F major or just F?

ok so maybe i should have said more questions. :D

red meat doesn't kill you, fuzzy green meat does.

ReplyQuote
(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

F#m is F sharp minor

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

When you say F major what you are saying is F F and F major are the same thing ^^.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

try playing an F#m7 which is 202200, easy to get to from most variations of an open A and gives a really nice sound if you play all strings cleanly.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@easewlad)

Bit of a cheat and probably won't have enough oomph but you could try

A as X0222X and F#m as XX422X and see how it sounds

barring the second fret with the index and then simply add ring finger on 4th fret to make the F#m
You could even leave the open A to see how that goes.

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Tried those other F#m you just said.

Really like the second one with the open A string.

Harder to get to than the F#m7 though

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2