Notifications
Clear all

Open E..a mistake ?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@williewannabe)
Topic starter  

Decided to try and learn a Dylan tune that is in open E. Never tried an open E, so I had to research and find out how it's done. In my research, I kept finding folks stating that open E is bad for my acoustic....there is a great risk of to much tension on the guitar neck...and I will most likely break a string. I can handle a broken string if I must, but I do not want to do any harm to my new guitar.

In order to solve my dilemma, I came here because this place is THE BEST ! Should I mess with open E ?????

Thanks for your opinions / advise !

Paul

ps: I am playing a Washburn D10S with light strings on her.

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

tune to open D and capo the second fret if you are worried about neck strain. this should be the same as E

i defer to the open tuning gurus in our slide and alternate tuning forum as this is off the top of my head. todays guitars shouldn't have trouble with it though imo. if you don't have a capo and are worried just tune it back after you play.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

I don't know if you'll do your neck any harm... the extra tension can exert more stress on your bridge and make the top belly over time... (even more so in warm to hot climates).

If you're worried about it, why don't you tune to open D and capo on the 2nd fret..

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Just tune back to standard when you're done. You won't hurt the guitar, but you might snap a string. I used to worry about this too but don't at all anymore. (I'm following G. E. Smith's advice here -- he said guitars built today don't even know they've got strings on them they're so sturdy. Go for it).

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@williewannabe)
Topic starter  

Thank you guys !!! Very much appreciated ! Now that you showed me the light....open D capo on 2nd fret sounds PERFECT ! I learned something new again here !! :D

THANKS !!!

Paul

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Whether it'll hurt your guitar depends on total string tension, and on the strength of your guitar. If you use lighter strings, you can tune up and have exactly the same (or less) tension. D'Addario has a string tension table on their site for all of their different types and gauges of strings tuned to various pitches on a 25.5" scale length. Very useful for calculating things like this.

Fact is, though I use insanely heavy gauges on my resonator guitar and 12s on my electrics for sliding, most guitars sound just fine with light or extra light strings.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote