Clear all

What is the strumming pattern

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@hjalte81)
Topic starter  

Hi all...
I have this song i really would like to play. But I cant figure out the strumming pattern.

This is what I think it should be, but it does not sound right: (DuDDDu)

I have created a .mp3 file of the song (it is "Rejsesangen" by "Drengene Fra angora") but couse of legal issues I can only upload the first 10-20 seconds.

http://rapidshare.de/files/34741150/Rejsesangen_2.mp3.html

The chords should be: C, am, G

Hope anyone can help.

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Hi Hjalte
Haven't listened to your song yet - just wanted to say welcome to GN - why don't you listen to the song, get a feel for it and play whatever feels right. I've never been good at thinking out and writing down strumming patterns but I think I'm quite OK at strumming if you see the difference.

I'm in denmark too for the time being - Ã…rhus.

LaRS

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

it's xxxxxooxoxooxxoo. 5 16th notes, an 8th rest a 16th note, a 16th rest a 16th note, an 8th rest, two sixteenth notes (sometimes 3) and then an 8th rest (or 16th rest).

to play it, get a steady rhythm going. play the 1st 5 strums, then mute an upstroke and a down downstroke, play the up, mute down, play up, mute down and up, play down up (sometimes a third down, but that might be a mistake), then mute the remaining. repeat.

ReplyQuote
(@hjalte81)
Topic starter  

OMG. Thats sick. And very advanced.

Thank you very much. You are very good at this :-)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

it's not hard. just do it slow enough that you get it right at first, then speed up. you're just playing a constant up-and-down strum, but muffling certain beats.

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

OMG. Thats sick. And very advanced.

Thank you very much. You are very good at this :-)

Hi mate

you don't need to play the exact pattern to make it sound good. To get the feel of the song you could also play some simpler patterns lke

dd/ddu/dd/ddu

which is an excellent pattern for all the songs with 16notes beat resolution. Of course once you'd get the bulk of the song down you could try something a bit more complex

Cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@hjalte81)
Topic starter  

you don't need to play the exact pattern to make it sound good. To get the feel of the song you could also play some simpler patterns lke

dd/ddu/dd/ddu

Thanks... Does / mean muted downstroke?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

listen, just learn the actual rhythm. you might as well. m=mute d=down u=up dudu dmmu mumm dumm
it's easy if you just think about which ones to mute. it's a completely straightforward up-&-down strum pattern. he just mutes certain strums. starts with 5 strums:
---- -mm- m-mm --mm
don't think about it in groups of 4's. i just wrote it that way to make it easier to read.

ReplyQuote
(@hjalte81)
Topic starter  

---- -mm- m-mm --mm

Okey. Think I understand now.
One more Q: Is this song 4/4 or 4/16 or what is it?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

4/4, but each beat is divided into 16th notes.

ReplyQuote