Clear all

Open G Stones Chord...

13 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Okay, I learned that super cool rolling stones trick whereby you tune to open G (DADGBD) then alternate between the basic barre and the add the two fingers for the riff. Kinda like so:

Basic C in open G:

5 5
5 6 (2nd finger)
5 5
5 7 (3rd finger)
5 5
x x

Where you add something similar to a Am7 or some such thing to the basic barre. I know (or at least was told) if you just add the 6th fret to the B string its supposed to be a 9th but what is name of the chord where you add the 7th fret 4th string?

C9add?

I noticed that Keif uses this chord shape contantly and its amazing how the second you hear it, you know its THE rolling stones riff but I cannot seem to find any information on open G chord forms.

Did this post make any sense at all? Please advise.

And does anyone know if the tale is true that Ry Cooder still hates Keith Richards because he supposidly stole this riff from him?

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's a standard old Delta blues lick that's decades older than Ry Cooder.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, it seemed hard to imagine that a band that formed in 1963 or whatever it was could have stolen something that significant from Cooder.

Any idea what that 2nd shape is called?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The second shape is Cadd9 - a variation of it is used in Start Me Up, Brown Sugar and Street Fighting Man to name but three off the top of my head. Kind of like using these shapes in standard tuning....

_____E A D G B E
G...... 3 2 0 0 3 3
C+9 ..x 3 2 0 3 3

There are tabs for all three in Easy Songs....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Cool thanks. I looked up the easy lessons and found Happy by the rolling stones. He listed the Chord as G6sus4 or Gadd9/G (G is that example) so good call.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

G6sus4 is how I've always thought of it. It's an alteration of a straight major chord with the third and a fifth bumped up.

For an earlier use of the same altered chord, check out Booker White's Aberdeen, Mississippi. It's in Open D, but it's the same thing moved over one string. (Sounds something like an earlier version of the "Bo Diddley Rhythm," too.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

In open G, you'd be playing a G chord as xOOOOO - X G D G B D so the chord would consist of the 1st (G) 3rd (B) and 5th(D) of the G scale. By then adding that Am7 shape, so you're playing x02010. the notes would be x G E G C D.....in the scale of C, Cis the root, E the 3rd, G the 5th and D the added 9th - 1-3-5-9. Cadd9. Technically it'd be an inversion, as the root note isn't the bass note, but you could always play the bottom string - D - as an extra 9th.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The chords are the same, but the usage is as an altered G chord that's resolving back to the G. Makes no sense whatever to consider it as a C chord.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, maybe it does. Could consider it as the IV chord. Hadn't thought of it that way, but it does kinda get used that way in Aberdeen.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Gsus4/6 or Cadd9? The notes are the same - in the same way that Am7 and C6 share the exact same notes....like Noteboat (and I think Kingpatzer and Fretsource) keep telling us, it all depends on context......

An interesting experiment - try playing the riff to Street Fighting Man (it alternates between the G and the Cadd9/Gsus4/6) in open G, then try it with the same chords in EADGBE....G, 320033 and Cadd9, x32033....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Of course, it would be equally valid to call that Cadd9 chord Gsus4/6 in standard tuning.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I suppose it would - and especially in the context of the Stones' riffs....as you said before, it's unresolved, but goes back to the G chord....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

What the heck... It works! :D

That riff can be found in a bunch of stuff.

ReplyQuote