Clear all

Open Mic Question

26 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Just wondering about these things. The audition I had for a band was cancelled so I started looking into local open mic stuff, and wow, most of these people can sing...really well, and it's a bit daunting to even want to try to do that when you sing as poorly as I do, but I feel that at some point I'm going to have to make that "step" for experience sake.

Any thoughts from people that do this? It' s just me and the guitar at this point. I don't have any other singer.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@gosurf80)
Eminent Member

Suck it up and do it once. You may bomb, but you'll have one under your belt and experience for the next time.

The best thing that comes from mistakes that you might make is knowing exactly where to spend your practice time to build on your current weaknesses.

If you're really nervous, try to find a different open mic from the one you really want to play in. Go there first, and use it for a practice. If you're in a decent sized town, there's sure to be at least one bad open mic for every good one.

Just go do it, and most of all- have fun!

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I kind of thought that was they way it was. I pretty confident in the guitar part of the songs I would play, but like I said, my singing (as I'm sure a few people on here can attest to) really isn't up to snuff. I don't really want to make a complete fool out of myself...just a little :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Just out of curiosity, is there any generalization about how supportive the audiences are? Are they pretty encouraging or ready to throw rocks? Or if they're mostly drunk, does it even matter? :lol: (no, not considering it!)

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

I go to two pub open mics each week and another once a month. I have never seen or heard anything to make the artists feel uncomfortable, even from drunks, and really there are some singing who really should stick to playing only. And there are lots who need to have a few more guitar lessons. I noticed one chap this week who was so tense his arms and hands were shaking so bad he had trouble making chord shapes - the thing is everyone seems to admire those who get up because they are at least having a go.

Speaking of drunks, a guy with a guitar with a guitar had trouble getting onto the stool one night (kept slipping off) but once he finally made could he play and sing!

Also some of the 'bad' ones that came along months ago for the first time and kept coming back have now moved into the better character: you can see and hear the improvement in their performances.

It's all fun, everyone claps after each performance ( all the open mics allow three songs or 15 minutes).

Sometimes when it's a bit quiet (it's moving into winter down here), half a dozen or more will start jamming and that's when I enjoy it the most I think. In one of the pubs there are symbols, shakers, bongos, a small drum with brushes etc left around the room so everyone can join the beat at anytime.

On the other hand there are some who sing/play better than a lot of artists making serious money.

It's a great mix and always a good night and I wouldn't miss it for quids (dollars to some of you :wink: )

Bit of ramble here but I hope you get the idea.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

My goal is to get to a point where I can go to an open mic and hopefully not embarress myself too badly.

I have one problem though. I know when I sing in public (done it a couple of times, infrequently) my hands shake really REALLY badly. I've never tried playing and singing, and fear that I will end up like that chap you mentioned who stiffened up so badly. I guess (hope) only regular exposure to the fear will help me overcome it?

BluezOldy, would you mind mentioning which pubs have good open mic nights? I'm trying to track down a few so I can get a gauge for when I'll be ready to have a crack :roll:

JH, I really understand how daunting this will be for you, but once you've done it once, it will improve. And the most important thing won't be your performance. It will be that you actually did it. The performance will come later, just get out there and give it a shot :D (from the world's biggest chicken :lol: )

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

...BluezOldy, would you mind mentioning which pubs have good open mic nights? I'm trying to track down a few so I can get a gauge for when I'll be ready to have a crack :roll:

I live in the Blue Mountains so the ones I'm referring to are

The Imperial Hotel Mt Victoria - 7pm every Tuesday night. This one originals only no covers.

The Family Hotel Katoomba - 8pm every Wednesday night. Covers and originals.

The Carrington Hotel Piano Bar Katoomba - 8pm third Thursday. Covers and originals.

The only Sydney one I know of but have never been to (a two hour each way train trip is out of the question on a Monday night) is The Albion Parramatta - every Monday except public holidays. Lots of friends play here and reckon it's the best. http://www.albionhotel.com.au/WhatsOnmondays/528/n/3/0/0/

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

From what I've read the general consensus is that people are fairly supportive. I did read one article where someone went to an open mic at a biker bar inadvertently, but stayed and did his thing, but during the performance was getting booed and yelled at, but I think that's a rare case.

Hopefully I'll get to doing one of these in the next couple of months. Still nervous about playing for anyone other than the camera though, I mean, if it takes me 19 takes to get a flawless, sometimes not so flawless take to use then really am I ready to do the open mic thing?

ReplyQuote
(@gosurf80)
Eminent Member

Put the hours in, learn three tunes, then go do it. I'm excited for you. Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Thanks folks. Interesting. Maybe the people that frequent open mics, as the audience, know what to from the performers, good or bad. It sounds like they know what they're there for.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

My wife read outloud an ad for an Accoustic Open Jam every Monday night at some bar I never heard of. My excuse was "too far". Wrong! She told me where it was. Same shopping center as out closest hardware store, sub shop, Wendy's, etc. D'oh! Looks like we're gonna check it out soon. If all things seems ideal to me, I'll give it a go. I can handle accoustic volume levels for a while. 8)

Might even pack the guitar in the car just in case......

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I did read one article where someone went to an open mic at a biker bar inadvertently, but stayed and did his thing, but during the performance was getting booed and yelled at, but I think that's a rare case.

I love the biker-bar stereo type. Normally it's just a bunch of professionals playing Halloween. I once saw the guy who the previous week had done my colonoscopy. There are still a few rough-neck biker bars out there, but I stay away from them. Those are the ones who ride, drink, drink, drink and then ride. Statistics, I believe, is what they are eventually called.

Anyhow, the rule of thumb in this area is that if you see quite a few cages, er- I mean cars in the lot, don't worry about it. If there's not one in site and all the bikes look well ridden, that's the place whose patrons have adapted to or adopted the stereotypical biker life-style and probably not ideal for your prized accoustic, if ya know what I mean. Lots of regular old restaraunt bars advertise that they are "biker-friendly" hoping to attract the afforementioned halloweeners. Anyone would be totally fine playing at those places.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yea for the most part open mics are relatively safe environments in that I haven't seen alot of booing going on. There is a guy that goes to the local open mic who plays acoustic and sings a couple John Denver songs. He's definitely not dealing with a full deck but he has a suprisingly decent voice. problem is he usually forgets the lyrics by the end of the song. But he's pretty good, but then he always jumps on the drums if someone else is playing and he is NOT a drummer.

There's a young guy that comes down and does every neil Young song you can imagine and he is excellent sounds just like Neil but this other guy got up there and started playing the drums when he was doing some songs and he ended up stopping twice and telling you to stop playing the drums cuz he was screwing him up.

So that's about the harshest thing I've seen at an open mic. They will usually clap for anyone that gets up there

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

I've had good experiences with open mikes. Audiences are generally supportive. The other people there who play are the most supportive. The worst that I ever see happen is if somebody is really not doing good he just gets little resonse from the audience- maybe a little polite applause. I've never seen anyone booed or any destructive criticism.

One good thing about open mikes is, now that I have been doing them for about a year, I use them as kind of a laboratory. I test out new songs and new ways of doing songs and use the reactions I get to gauge how well things go over. I also have got to know a number of the other performers well enough to ask them to give me constructive criticism- what did I do well, what should I be doing better or different? This type of feedback is invaluable.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, it seems that maybe I'll be hitting one up sooner than later....I got an invite to go to one.....THIS MONDAY! :shock:

The guy told me "don't worry about the singing, unless you sound like a mutiliated goat, then it's all good"

I sent him a youtube link to one my songs to see if he thought I sounded like a mutilated goat LOL, we'll see what happens. I don't know if I'm ready mentally yet, but the anticipation of going out and playing is kind of exciting.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2