Notifications
Clear all

Open Mic Question

26 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I helped run an Open Mic for two years and the audience was always very supportive. Our OM became so popular we started to attract big crowds and even a few "pros".

But anybody was welcome. I can only remember one fellow that got on my nerves. This guy only knew about 3 chords and just played them endlessly. When he did finally end a song after 10-15 minutes, his next song would sound exactly the same using the same chords. And this fellow thought he was entertaining! We had to go up and tell him he was finished or he would have stayed up there all night.

Other than that, I cannot remember another performer that was not entertaining. One of the the best songs I remember was from a lady that had the most horrible voice you would ever want to hear. She sounded like a cow being tortured, and that is not much of an exaggeration. But the crowd went wild, it was so bad it was good. :D

Just go in there. Often you don't have to sing, you can get up and play with others. We often had jams, and many were outstanding. It is all about having fun, nobody is there to judge.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Just go in there. Often you don't have to sing, you can get up and play with others.

Excellent advice. Playing with others is a great way to ease your way gently into public performance. I'd probably still be twanging quietly away at home if a friend who owns the local music shop hadn't invited me to join him and a couple of others to play in the shop. Musically , it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I quickly discovered that, provided I could keep time, I could add a very modest yet still useful contribution to the music. Now we play there pretty much every week, and I'd be quite happy to take a stretch on my own.

So maybe that's a possible option for those who can't quite hack the idea of a public solo performance? If you don't have a guitar playing friend who can share the song with you then go to open mics and see if you can find a 'musical buddy' you could play a duet with, or some folks you could sit in behind. Many people would be quite flattered to be asked to take on that leader/mentor role and might even be willing to do a little bit of rehearsing together for a later open mic night.

You don't really need much in your toolkit to join in. I remember one week we were playing in the shop and a young lad came in nervously clutching a banjo, and started watching us. I asked if he wanted to join in and he said that he was there to start lessons and wasn't able to play. So I explained that we were about to play a simple traditional tune in the key of G (which he wouldn't have understood) and that by a lucky coincidence his banjo was are tuned so that the open strings are a G chord (true). I told him that no matter what he did it couldn't possible kill what we were playing, and that he should just strum or pluck, or do whatever he felt like doing on those open strings, and see if he could pick which bits seemed to work best with the song. To his great credit he did just that. I don't think I've ever heard a banjo more quietly yet intently played, or seen a bigger smile on the face of a beginner... :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm thinking that I'll be going on Monday night...I just have to pass it through the boss. I don't mind getting up there, I don't have alot of performance anxiety due to my other entertainment endeavors but I still feel a bit nervous since this will be the first time playing for anyone other than the camera

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

If it helps, I've heard loads of god-awful singers in my time. But I don't remember any of them.

The way I look at it, you'll either do great, in which case everyone will remember you. Or you'll do okay, and some people will remember you for a bit. Or you'll be dire, in which case it may be embarrasing for you and painful for your audience, but it's hardly going to be something that will follow you around for the rest of your life.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@gosurf80)
Eminent Member

Good luck tonight! Let us all know how it goes!

ReplyQuote
(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

Indeed! How did it go? Nothing like a live performance to give you a kick up the ass and make you practice if you ask me!

F.Y.I.

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, I went, but I didn't perform anything. Everyone who got up there was singing their own stuff, no covers, and it just seemed to have an overall tone of like some sort of "hippie free love" type thing, and so it wasn't my thing. Maybe at another facility it will be okay. When I get some time I'll try out another one, right now, something good did come up. I'm gonig to be part of a band performing at a 4th of July party in Indiana. Playing rhythm acoustic which is what I think I do fairly well. I'm getting the track list in the mail soon along with a CD of backing and such cause it's not all covers it's some originals from this guys band from last year. We'll see how that goes, but it's looking very good so far.

4th of July is now my target date to play live for the first time. I think that will give me enough time to learn the list and rehearse.

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

... Everyone who got up there was singing their own stuff, no covers, and it just seemed to have an overall tone of like some sort of "hippie free love" type thing, and so it wasn't my thing...

I know what you mean ... some nights at the open mics I go to there's so many depressing acoustic folk songs I want to go and hang myself from the nearest tree.

Last night one of the guys played a Gibson Les Paul for a few numbers and it was so good to hear the growl of humbuckers.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Joe,

That's not unusual I've been to open mics that were like that. You just have to go check out several, you'll eventually find one that fits you.

There's one a bit similar to that that I have been to several times. The musicians are all top notch, (not really a place for beginners although they'd probably let you play) but they frown on covers and it's pretty much all originals. Great for the performers not always great for the listeners, at least for me it wasn't. Most of the people sang and played well enough it was just their music didn't do much for me.

The July 4th party should be good and it will be much less stressful playing with other people rather than going solo, plus at a party half the people won't even be paying attention.

Good luck I know how difficult this all can be.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The July 4th party should be good and it will be much less stressful playing with other people rather than going solo, plus at a party have the people won't even be paying attention.

And I don't have to sing :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

Unlucky that the original gig wasn't to your taste. I've yet to see an open mic never mind be part of one, but the opportunity is slowly rising to greet me :)

A local company who do a resteraunt/theatre type night are branching out into open mics and such, and since its the first one I've heard of in Sunny Sunderland, I might give it a go. I've no idea if I'm anywhere near good enough, but I can play If I Could and sing it right through. I could also bang out a decent Wish You Were Here, and a few others I've not recorded out yet. Could someone have a look at If I Could and Banana Pancakes (that ones much rougher than I'd like due to a rush job!) and let me know if I could scratch through the night or not?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903342

I'm definately a nervous person, but I can get over the initial 'OMFG! I've got to sing' and get my voice up to scratch for the first few notes. Its after this point my concentration causes my voice to weaken.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2