Open power chords?

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@markii)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello,
I was just looking at a youtube lesson on rock power chords. I know all except where he talks about open E, open A, open D, open G power chord. It's kind of hard to see where he playing these chords, Left hand fingering, can anybody help? Here is a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo8udisAuTw&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Facapella%2Eharmony%2Dcentral%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D1897561%26highlight%3Dpower%2Bchords&feature=player_embedded#t=240

Thanks,
Mark

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Look at the lesson on Before You Accuse Me. It works with A, D, E in the "open" position. I think it might show you what you want to know.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hi mate those chords are commonly used by Ac/dc. To play open g power chord you should fret like this

E = 3
A = x
D = open
G = open
B = 3
e = x (also 3)

the other chords (e,a,d) are simply played like this
e chord:

E = open
A = 2

a chord:

A = open
D = 2

d chord

D = open
g = 2

cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The "power chords" are really intervals of fifths. They are composed by the root and the fifth, and usually it is also played the root an octave higher. Generally the root is played as the lowest note.

Thus, you can use the Matteo's fingerings or you can add the octave in the E, A and D chords (he is already using it in the G power chord).

ReplyQuote
(@eyeplayguitar)
Trusted Member

Check out these open chord lessons + diagrams:

Guitar Lessons - Open Chords

Find Guitar Teachers

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Check out these open chord lessons + diagrams:

Guitar Lessons - Open Chords
hi mate

if i understood correctly Mark ii requested about open power chords fingerings, not open chords's ones

as Nuno pointed out any power chord could also be played closed with index on the root and ring (or pinky) on the fifth, like this

i.e. F

E = 1
A = 3
x
x
x
x

G

E = 3
A = 5
x
x
x
x

and so on

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@markii)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

hi mate those chords are commonly used by Ac/dc. To play open g power chord you should fret like this

E = 3
A = x
D = open
G = open
B = 3
e = x (also 3)

the other chords (e,a,d) are simply played like this
e chord:

E = open
A = 2

a chord:

A = open
D = 2

d chord

D = open
g = 2

cheers

Matteo

Yes, That's what I was looking for. I guess this is the first time I heard the term "open" power chord. When I did a google search I also came across one finger and two finger power chords for example E5

x
x
x
x

or

x
x
x
x
x

is this the same thing? use as a preference?

Thanks!
Mark

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Mark, as I said previously the "power chords" are the root and the fifth and generally the root is lower than the fifth. Generally the "next" root, one octave higher is also played in order to get a "fuller" sound. For example, E power chord or E5 is the E (root) and the B (fifth). Thus you can play it as [022xxx] - [EBExxx].

Note that your previous fingerings: (1) [x22xxx], you are playing both notes but the lowest is the fifth, so you would play it "inverted" and (2) [x2xxxx] you are only playing the B note.

Hope it helps.

ReplyQuote
(@markii)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Mark, as I said previously the "power chords" are the root and the fifth and generally the root is lower than the fifth. Generally the "next" root, one octave higher is also played in order to get a "fuller" sound. For example, E power chord or E5 is the E (root) and the B (fifth). Thus you can play it as [022xxx] - [EBExxx].

Note that your previous fingerings: (1) [x22xxx], you are playing both notes but the lowest is the fifth, so you would play it "inverted" and (2) [x2xxxx] you are only playing the B note.

Hope it helps.

Thanks, I read that but it did'nt sink in until just now. I really appreceiate the help!

Thanks,
Mark

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hi mark

any different fingering gives different sound so you can choose the one you prefer in order of the sound you wish to obtain. iron Maiden often use the simple fifth chords (root plus fifth) like F (1,3,x,x,x,x) or G (3,5,x,x,x,x), D (x,5,7,x,x,x) E (x,7,9,x,x,x) (i.e. in Run to the hills or Number of the beast), other bands add the octave to obtain a fuller sound and so the E chord would be played as x,7,9,9,x,x
Ac/dc tends to play them open to take advantage of the open strings (i.e. they play F like this 1,3,3,0,x,x), playing all chords in first position.
Sometimes you could find fourth (or inverted chords) which are easy to play with just one finger like this

G (x,5,5,x,x,x), A (x,7,7,x,x,x), B, (x,x,2,2,x,x), C(x,x,3,3,x,x) D (x,x,7,7,x,x)

i.e. Smoke on the water and cat scratch fever riffs are played with inverted chords

Having said so, when I can choose between 2 or 3 strings power chords, i tend to play them with only root and fifth because i love the rawest sound of the 2 string chords

cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@markii)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you! I can definitely use this!

ReplyQuote