Open strum between chords

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@hello)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I just noticed that when i have to change chords when i'm strumming a song i often have one (open) stroke exactly when my fingers are off the strings. This is not always the case, but especially when the song is quite fast and when have to change to a hard (barre) chord exactly between, or when the change is exactly between an up and downstroke (or vice versa).

Although it sounds ok i just wanted to check here if i'm doing this right.

Cheers,
Pleph

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If I remember correctly that is called a phantom E chord or something like that.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it as long as it sounds OK for the song. It is actually a good and recommended way to cheat on timing of chord changes. Pretty much as long as it is on an up strum and you are just catching the treble strings no one will notice because the other strings (bass) are probably still wringing from the prior down strum. I think the key is to be consistent and do it every time on the same chord changes.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Ah, the famous Em11 - lots of players use the six open string chord when they need time to do their changes. It's not a problem.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

As Nils says, if it sounds good, it is good.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I palm mute that chord . sounds natural.

actually, I was watching a DVD of old cowboy swing players.

they have that great swing beat.
pluck a note strum, pluck a note strum...repeat etc.

they hold for a nano second before the strum. one guy actually semi released his fretting hand from the chord when doing that pluck befre the strum.
he never let go of the chord; just eased way off.
I found that I do that sometimes.

so whatever you are doing sure sounds right and proper to me.
come to think of it...if you are at that point in your playing...you sound quite comfortable forming and playing chords.
just relax a bit further and really go at it.

you will really get the sound from your guitar now.

yeah man. you are well on your way.
good job.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Ah, the famous Em11 - lots of players use the six open string chord when they need time to do their changes. It's not a problem.

Best,

A :-)

Thanks Alan! Now I know what to say when I miss a chord and my friend asks me what I just played. Em11, of course!

Pleph,

On some songs I do it on purpose because I like the sound of it. Others, I just haven't practised enough. In time you'll get the sound you like or are after. Which ever you decide, have fun!

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I think of it as a natural characteristic of the guitar -- especially acoustic, and most especially 12 string. Definitely imparts a folky feel to some tunes. Mixing it up with palm muting often helps create the "rhythm" in rhythm guitar. It can work for fingerstyle as well.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Tracker: If you really want to impress them you can call it a Asus4add9/E or a Bm7b5add11/E. :wink:

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Tracker: If you really want to impress them you can call it a Asus4add9/E or a Bm7b5add11/E. :wink:

LOL! Yeah, but I'd have to write that on my hand or something so I can remember it!

ReplyQuote