Skip to content
order of open chord...

Notifications
Clear all

order of open chords on standard tuned guitar?

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@leonidas)
Topic starter  

Hi, i'd be very grateful if someone could tell me in what order, from low to highest, open chords are ordered on a standard-tuned guitar? i mean order as in ascending tonal order such as found in a scale, eg C major - c,d,e,f,g,a,b,c . Does this make any sense? or like barre chords where the F barre chord would be the lowest found on the neck followed by G, A etc, in likewise fashion do open chords follow such a pattern?

thanks in advance.

(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I don't understand what you mean by order, maybe someone else will.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@leonidas)
Topic starter  

oops, sorry if my query is not very clear, i meant order as in ascending tonal order such as found in a scale, eg C major - c,d,e,f,g,a,b,c . Does this make any sense? or like barre chords where the F barre chord would be the lowest found on the neck followed by G, A etc, in likewise fashion do open chords follow such a pattern?

once again thanks for any help.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

'Order' is still a bit confusing.

Each chord has a root note - the note it's built on. Since E is the lowest note on a guitar, the E chord will be the lowest.

There are only five major chords in open position: E, G, A, C, and D. All the other chords are formed by moving these up one or more frets, and playing them as barre chords.

So in one sense, lowest to highest is the open chords in root order: E-G-A-C-D, followed by the chords in first position barre: F-Ab-Bb,Db,Eb, then second position barre: F#-A (different fingering from open)-B-D (again a different fingering)-E (still another different fingering). That gives you the entire chromatic sequence of major chords, although you can also play them in other positions on the neck.

In another sense, you can take the lowest chord (E), and then barre it at the first fret (F), then the second fret (F#)... and for the next chord you get a choice of barring the G at the third fret, or chaning fingering to the open G chord.

The guitar isn't linear like a keyboard - it's more of a matrix. I think that's where we're having trouble understanding your question.... and probably why the answer might seem confusing to you.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The guitar isn't linear like a keyboard - it's more of a matrix. That's why I'm so much happier playing in open tunings. Linear like a keyboard. And at every fret I know where the roots, fifths and third are, and know right off how to modify any of those by fretting above or behind a barre. I feel like a stranger in a strange land in standard tuning, and it takes a lot of thinking to work out where the scale degrees are in the various chord shapes, which are totally nonintuitive. Standard tuning is immensely versatile, especially for quickly switching keys (they're all equally awkward to play in), but it seems like we're doing something backward by starting beginners off with it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The funny thing is, being a newbie myself, I understand exactly what you are asking.
Simply put you want to line up the chords in order of how they sound in overall pitch.
Example:
2 open chords, E and D. The D actually has a higher sounding pitch than the E since the D is only played on the 4 highest pitched strings and the 3 highest pitched strings are fretted even higher, where as with the E the higher pitched strings are not fretted and more bass is added.
I really can't answer your question. But I do know what you are asking and am curious myself.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

NoteBoat has the answer you're looking for. You can stick F and B in there to make full range of chords, although they aren't all going to be open.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@phburks)

The last thing I want to do is insult anyone's intelligence, but I didn't gather from your message how much you understand about chord theory. Here's another order that might be helpful for your major chords:

B, E, A, D, G, C, F.

Choose any three consecutive chords (BEA, or EAD, etc.). The middle chord (let's say E) is your root chord. The ones to the left and right (B&A) are the other major chords you need to in order to play in that key.

Hope that helps.

Phillip

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

The difficulty is that the chords don't have to have their constituent notes arranged in a particular order. Using the usual chord shapes, the order is something like what Noteboat said, but you could leave out the bass note in a G chord, for example, and it wouldn't stop being a G chord. It would, however, change the lowest-to-highest order you had come up with. The G would then fall between the A and C chords. Because there's no required order for the notes, they can be mised up, mixing up the order of the chords.

ReplyQuote