Clear all

Pawn shop

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@j-rock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was thinking about taking a look around at the local pawn shops for a new ( to me ) guitar. I've read the articles on this site about how to check it to make sure it's not completely hooped. Anyone with advice or a horror story?

I can look back with a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Pawn shops used to be great places to look. I bought a custom archtop for $200 in one in NY in 1980, and a friend of mine found a decent Martin for under $100 a couple years before that.

Pawn shops now are more of an industry - they have a trade association, they know the retail values, and you're likely to spend the same amount of money as you would music stores. Given that choice, a music store will be able to help with setup, getting you new strings on your purchase, etc., so I'd go with that.

In recent years I've had the best luck getting bargains at police auctions... although other folks who know guitars bid against me, they're looking to resell. Prices end up around wholesale, give or take a few bucks. If you go that route, go early and look at the guitars first!. There's a decent amount of trash, and if you wait until the auction opens it's hard to tell what's what.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I agree with Tom, I've looked in several pawn shops over the past couple years and have found the prices to be similar to what you would find for used equipment in a guitar store, maybe slightly cheaper, but I haven't seen many "good" guitars either.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

As mentioned above, it's a lot harder to find a bargain in this "global economy". Even eBay prices get pretty close to music store price tags.

However, you live farther from the big cities than many of us. The local pawn shop may work for you, as there may be fewer alternatives.

Whatever you do you still need to have a good relationship with your local guitar shop.

Let us know what you find at the pawn shop and maybe we can give you some feedback.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I haven't seen anything worth buying in a pawn shop for several years. Not only that but I've seen some real rip-offs, broken truss rods, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

You realy need to do your homework before heading to the paun shops. I've been looking for tube amps and have found new prices for beat up old gear. The opperators don't even want to talk prices so the heck with them. I've seen paun brokers asking more for amps than what you can get them new from Musicansfriend.com for.

You might want to watch the clasified ads in your local paper. Bargans can be had if you've got a little time to invest. Be flexable and have a big wad of cash in small bills. Low ball them, flash the cash. and be ready to walk if they don't move on the price. Let them know if they're too proud of their stuff they'll be keeping it.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote