Clear all

Percussive Click

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@outlaw-pete)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am trying to play Mr. Jones by Counting Crows by following the video in the link below. I am struggling to do the percussive click between the chord changes. In fact, I am not totally sure what a percussive click actually is. Can someone tell me what to do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-aCTWdxIi0&feature=related

Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

In fact, I am not totally sure what a percussive click actually is.

It's just the sound of his pick. It seems out of place as I looked at the clip due to the digital camera taking gulps at the view rather than fluid camera play.

As for the "what to do"...I suggest you just listen to the dude...and have some non-critical fun with it!

Hope this helps...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

it's the pick on muted or partially muted strings. he is doing a combination of

1. muting with the fretting hand, by easing finger pressure to allow the strings to lift off the frets and be muted by the fingers as he strums them

2. very fluidly muting with his palm, by allowing the heel of his hand to graze the strings at the ends of those strokes, so the chord quickly rings and dies to the chucka or click you hear

this all takes practice. he is probably so use to doing the palm muting (2), that he does not realize how naturally he does it, and how difficult it is for a new player to know what he's doing.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@outlaw-pete)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help

ReplyQuote