Clear all

Pick Chirping?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@dagwood)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. I feel kinda dumb asking this, but its really getting to me. I even noticed my instructor having this happen to him when he was jamming for a minute. But it happens to me a lot and I've tried everything I can think of to make it stop.

What it is, my "Plectrum" Chirps ... yeah Chirps.. at various times. It drives me crazy. I've deduced that its caused by a 'micro' bounce off an already vibrating string. I've tried picking the string more lightly, harder, sliding it, even turning the 'pitch' or flat plane of the pic both ways, to no avail.

Also I really only hear it on my electric.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about. It this something I can correct or is it just one of those things.. like the string that rattles once in a while (yet doesn't sound throught the amp).

Is it my picks? Fender Cali's Mediums. Should I change? Thicker? Thinner?

Help!!!

Thanks in advance.
Dag.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I dont have a cure for it, but it happens with pros too. Maybe its picking too hard?

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

It really shouldn't be a problem but if it's bugging you, you might try different pick-tip shapes - more pointed perhaps. Maybe like you said, a thinner pick though those California Clears are pretty flexible, even in the mediums. That's why I like them myself.

You might also try picking a little closer to the bridge; there's less string motion there.

I know that Brian May uses coins as a pick and sometimes you can hear that little 'click' between notes. Is that like what you're talking about?

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey thanks guys.

Yeah.. its a lil click or sometimes sounds like it makes a chirping noise. Its weird. One thing though I'm glad my hearing is good enough to hear it and notice it.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote