Clear all

Arm Pain

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@darkside23)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone else get a pain in the elbow joint but on the top of the arm?
just wondering... i have been playing my guitar alot more recently, but i never used to get this pain.. almost feels like a pulled muscle..
??

beware the Power of the Stratocaster, for once you start down the Fender Path, forever will it dominate your destiny

(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

In what arm; the picking, or the struming.

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@darkside23)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ahhh yeah... that bit of information would help would'nt it!.. the strumming arm.. it seems to be where it's been wrapped over the guitar.. i have been sat down alot whilst playing so the guitar is higher up..

beware the Power of the Stratocaster, for once you start down the Fender Path, forever will it dominate your destiny

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

I'am guessing that you are playing an acoustic, so the problem could be that you are siting to low. This makes it so that your arm has to be crunched up into your body; putting extra tension on it. Try siting on something higher.

"The answer is practice.
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@darkside23)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i keep neglecting information dont i.... i'm actually playing my fender... i have an accoustic and a epi sheraton II both of which have large body's.. the strat is obviously smaller than both these... i guessed the pain was from playing.. just wondered if anyone else experianced it.. and if they rested the arm untill all pain gone or just kept playing anyway....

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Sometimes we are holding the guitar wrong or sitting with bad posture and we do not realize it until we have pain/cramped muscles.

Sometimes I would get cramped in the neck, upper shoulder, forearm, wherever I am straining muscles while concentrating on something I am trying to do.

I try to pay attention now to sympathetic muscle tensions.

Try to be aware of everything you are doing. I am sure only a minor adjustment would be needed to make you more relaxed than you think you are. :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

Have you been doing alot of fingerpicking or tremelo picking? Or playing without a guitar strap?

ReplyQuote
(@darkside23)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ohhh yeah i have discarded my pick alot recently actually... i thought i would play with my fingers for a bit although i usally use the pick.. and as i'm sat down i dont bother with the strap...

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

i would leave the strap on while you're sitting down. It's important to see how you're playing. It's very important that your muscles are relaxed while you're playing because it'll effect your ability to play. When you're sitting and playing one time sit and notice your posture. Notice if you have any tension in the arm and neck. Bad posture can really effect your ability to play and it's important that you're relaxed.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I get pain in the same place and in my shoulder too.
Mostly when fingerpicking.
I have noticed and am quite sure that it is because I am too tense.
I can feel the tension in these muscles.
I can relax them for awhile but they seem to tense back up as I play and start concentrating on what I am playing.
I would imagine a small amount of soreness is normal any time you use muscles in a way they are not used to.

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

JosephLeftywrote
Sometimes I would get cramped in the neck, upper shoulder, forearm, wherever I am straining muscles while concentrating on something I am trying to do.

I have the same pain when i sit down. Usaly when it happens I put the strap on and stand up and wait for it to go away.

"The answer is practice.
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote