Clear all

Pick hand fingers position

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@eddieslittlehelper)
Topic starter  

Hello,

I'm using an instructional book "Shred Guitar" by Greg Harrison.

He makes mention of your pick hand "extra" fingers' position. His own play style is for playing rhythm on the low strings, the pick hand fingers touch the strings he's not picking so they don't sound.

When he plays lead he makes a loose fist with the pick hand playing the high strings so his pick hand fingers are out of the way.

Now when I play rhythm low strings or practice the high strings exercises in his book, I naturally have an open picking hand, my "extra" fingers not holding the pick with the thumb are kinda stretching out. I don't have them muting the high strings, I let the edge of my hand do that. The pick hand fingers don't seem to get in the way for me, that being said I'm only a few chapters in.

So my question is, understanding that this could be a case of play style, is what he does something I should try to incorporate?

I didn't pick from the wrist for a while 'cause it wasn't "natural", so this is why I ask, because I get now that I may need to train something else to become natural.

(@alangreen)

Hello,

I'm using an instructional book "Shred Guitar" by Greg Harrison.

He makes mention of your pick hand "extra" fingers' position. His own play style is for playing rhythm on the low strings, the pick hand fingers touch the strings he's not picking so they don't sound.

How weird. Sounds like he's anchoring his fingers on the strings for support, to be honest - like a crutch.

Your pick hand will find its own comfortable shape. I cannot think of anything worse than "spare" fingers resting on strings - it really restricts up the pick hand movement if your pick-holding fingers and thumb are constantly crashing into the unused fingers - so your man's "lead" style sounds far more like my "normal"

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote