Clear all

Pick Holding Advice

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Am I the only person in the world that has this problem: I have a tendency to drop my pick while strumming - or the pick will eventually change positions which means I need to stop and hold it correctly again. I don't know if it's because my fingers/thumb are smooth, but it is annoying to me. Any advice on how others have whipped this problem would be appreciated. I use the regular flat picks.

(@sticky)
Trusted Member

I'm a guitar newb but it seems like the more I practice the less frequently it happens. I imagine that it's a matter of time, I figure a few years down the road it will be more like an extension of my hand and I won't suffer the issues of a beginner.......hopefully! :)

How do you know if a drummer is knocking on your door.....

The knocking speeds up.

ReplyQuote
(@drunkrock)
Estimable Member

I found that through practice my pick moved less and less, my grip became better and better. It also helps to try a variety of pick shapes and sizes. My hand really like small teardrop shaped picks, and that's the last shape I'd thought I'd be able to hold.

It's all practice and experimentation.

ReplyQuote
(@mhlandry)
Trusted Member

I think the dropping/moving pick is all a part of the learning process. Next time you pick up your guitar, pay some close attention to your strumming. If I had to guess, I'd say that your strumming is probably jumpy and uneven. Maybe sometimes you dig into the strings which causes the pick to shift around in your fingers. At least that was the problem I had/am having.

One thing I did was to buy a thinner pick. It'll flex more when you hit the strings, and it'll also force you to develop that light touch just a little more. Or maybe that was just in my head and the problem isn't as bad solely from practice.

Do you "practice" strumming? Try setting a metronome at 60bpm (something slow, you'll find it's harder the slower you go) and alternate downstrokes and upstrums of all six strings on the clicks. Try to get the same level of smoothness on all downstrums and all upstrums. (If you don't have a metronome, there are plenty of websites with free online metronomes).

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

I use a dab of Gorilla Snot. Great stuff.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Really. I never thought of ever getting that close to a ape, not counting attempting to get him to sneeze.

Just kidding, I couldn't resist - above was the first thing that popped in my mind with your post. I had never heard of this product but have now read about it, and it sounds like a good solution. Thanks for the tip.

ReplyQuote
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help. Looks like I got some good suggestions and also now realize I not only one who has dealt with this issue.

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

I would think that this happens to everyone. Just look at the microphone stands of the big bands. You can often see that there are like 20 picks on them.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I used to have this problem - BAD. But then, I tried turning the pick on its side and use on of the more rounded edges. I think I get a better grip on the pick this way - it has dramatically reduced how many times I drop the pick.

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

Someone suggested trying the pick (I forget the brand name) with the hole in the middle. Being a cheapskate, I stuck my Fender light pick in a 3-hole punch and POP! one hole in the middle. Works great now, bc my fingers touch at the open spot. Easy mod for a favorite pick.

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote