Clear all

Pick Practice

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My teacher told me that I should decide whether or not I want to play mostly with my fingers (which i tend to do) or a pick (which I would like to do).

So Until recently I havent attempted using a pick for "picking" instead of strumming, and I am trying to get better at it just wanted some practice suggestions or tips or w/e....something different than what im trying now.

ATM : Im attempting to use alternate picking in all my fingerpicking patterns like scarborough fair, misc. , etc. And I figure its good to go over the minor pentonic scale with alt picking until there is no thinking required.

I dono if I covered everything and am just wasting my time posting this when I should be practincing :wink: or if there are other things I should know, and should be practicing also.

Thanks! :P

"We're officially on welfare. Come on, kids. Help me scatter garbage on the front lawn."

(@audioboy)
Reputable Member

In the band I am currently in, the other guitarist tends to use his fingers and for the most part (even though it bothers me) he seems to be able to do it fine. But when the picking got a little more complicated her found it easier to do with the pick. I don't have a solution, I just thought i'd let you know others do it too....

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

To be an efficient guitarist you should be able to finger pick and use a pick, or a combined pick and finger technique. You may want to try different picks out till you find one that works best for you. Myself I don't use very hard or thick pick. I use Jim Dunlap 46mm and 60mm.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

I've heard it before that you either choose one way or the other. I don't know about that I like both, it depends what mood i'm in. I think I decided that I will have to learn both ways and not favor one or the other. I don't see any other way

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Its not that I prefer fingerpicking over "picking", its just that I tend to be better at it.

However when i saw my teacher playing wicked fast with a pick hiting all the string i was trying to hit with my 5 fingers it made me want to learn that also. (He trying to encourage me to use a pick)

So ne practice tips, I wanna learn fast so I can impress :twisted:

"We're officially on welfare. Come on, kids. Help me scatter garbage on the front lawn."

ReplyQuote