Skip to content
I wonder how to tur...

Notifications
Clear all

I wonder how to turn some of my guitar equipment off...

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@alkemist)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Recently bought vamp2 and ub802 mixer do not have switch off switches.
Is this a designe for shut down outlets/ps?

Thank you.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

What you can get is a master/slave extension socket - they're mostly sold for PCs. You connect your PC to the master socket and all your other gear to the slave sockets. When you turn the PC on, the extension also switches all the slaves on as well. Turn the PC off and, as soon as the power stops flowing to it, the slaves are turned off as well. No need to turn monitor, speakers, scanner, etc. off any more.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@alkemist)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

heY greybeard,

Sounds like a good device, but not for me unless it works with other electrical equipment. I rarely turn my pc off.

Thank you.

ReplyQuote
 aoco
(@aoco)

alkemist,

That wasn't quite what he was saying. They make multi-socket plugins with a single, master "off" switch. These are most often sold for computers but can be used for your musical equipment separately.

---------
cheers!
aoco

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The thing is that there is a "master" device and "slave" devices. Make your amp the master and your fx box, pedal board, Music stand light, etc. slaves. Switch your amp on and all the "slaves" get switched on too.
If that's too grand, just get a multi-socket extension with a switch. Plug your fx box and mixer into it - just press the on/off switch on the extension to control your stuff.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Being a bit handy myself, I installed switches on the primary mains cable of the VAmp-2 and UB802 mixer. It´s OK to do this type of installations in Sweden and you can buy the switches nearly everyware.
But Greybeards advice to use a multi-socket extension cable with a switch is also what I should recommend.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I'd say get the power strip too.

I use mine for my mixer, keyboard, multi-effects pedal and my individual stomp boxes. It's great to use because you can turn them all on at once and off when you want. I tend to be a neat person and I use to hate climbing under my desk to plug in my multi-effects. Pain in the rear!!! Now just plug them in and leave the on/off switch where you can reach it.

I use the Belkin SurgeMaster. IIRC, it was @ $20.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I use rackmount power distribution conditioner's. Everything is plugged into them which allows me to turn all the equipment in the rack off. Their designed to clean and filter unwanted AC line noise, have electrical surge and spike protection, and keeps the voltage where it needs to be. The built in lights really help on a dark stage when an equalizer needs a tweak.

Furman, Power works, and Juice goose

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I use the powerstrip solution as well. And being the lazy person I am I added a wireless remote control so I don't have to crouch to switch it all over. :D

ReplyQuote
(@alkemist)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Being a bit handy myself, I installed switches on the primary mains cable of the VAmp-2 and UB802 mixer. It´s OK to do this type of installations in Sweden and you can buy the switches nearly everyware.
But Greybeards advice to use a multi-socket extension cable with a switch is also what I should recommend.

I like wiring my own switches too :)
For instance, my EQ is powered from an AC adapter, but the circuit is broken with a switch mounted to my desk... very convenient.

I think I will get a FOURTH!!!! powerstrip for more music equipment.... its never enough outlets for me haha

Thank you.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

There's always the Elvis method: Blast it with a .45.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote