Clear all

Question one for today: Finger Pain

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I play an open A chord by barring the three strings with either my middle finger or ring finger (I'm trying to use the ring finger more often, as it's an easy follow through to play a b major type follow through).

However, I've got a bit of pain in the joint of my ring finger, the joint nearest the finger tip. It doesn't hurt to move my finger, just when I play, or if I prod the joint with another finger. It feels like a bruise...it doesn't hurt unless I touch it. The pain isn't severe; it's uncomfortable at most when I play.

I've tried all the different approaches to that A chord, but none of them feel comfortable, but I'm wondering if maybe this bending the finger joint could cause permanent damage, in which case I probably have no choice. But if the pain is related to just "growing pains", I'll just go easy on it so long.

Any opinions?

(@bennett)
Reputable Member

It is most likely a "growing pain" as you call it. The bruised feeling is most likely due to some local acute inflammation in the joint (known as the distal interphalangeal joint if you're interested ;)).

Given that you're using this joint in a manner it is not used to, this is to be expected. However, don't disregard the pain. It is telling you to take it easy on it.

I would suggest doing some basic finger stretching exercises regularly through the day, and especially before playing. Follow up your playing with some stretches too.

If the pain worsens however then ease off completely then try again gradually once the joint inflammation has settled.

If it returns again then I'd be trying a different technique. ;)

Good luck.

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

That's very helpful, thanks :D
I would suggest doing some basic finger stretching exercises regularly through the day, and especially before playing. Follow up your playing with some stretches too.

I must confess haven't ever specifically done any stretching exercises for guitar practice. Any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

I must confess haven't ever specifically done any stretching exercises for guitar practice. Any suggestions?

• Gripping, like with say, stressballs - something you might do at work. :P
    Steepling your fingers.
    Splaying your fingers on a table top and applying gentle to moderate downward pressure. This will improve joint extension, which is the type of force you are using when forming the barre in question.
    Opening your hands as far as possibly then closing.
  • Of course there's other ways of achieving the same result but hopefully this'll get you started. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote