Clear all

Pick/strumming problem...

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I don't think I have seen this little problem I am having mentioned here before...

..we mostly discuss chord switching here..but now that I can switch a half dozen chords well and can strum for what I consider to be a long time in my endless chord switching loops.....my pick is sliding/turning and I have to occasionally stop and put it back where it belongs between my fingers and start again. It is to the point I am trying to think of something like tape to put on it or something.

I know I am relaxed because I am enjoying myself and the chords are effortless but I can't seem to keep in my head to keep my other fingers really tight to keep the pick from moving around while I am strumming after a while.

Am I the first here with this? Anyone have this happen and find a solution?

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

(@shan65)
Eminent Member

Maybe try switching to another brand of pick. Like the Dunlop gator grips. Or you can always buy a thing of Gorilla Snot. It is a tacky substance that you put on your fingers that makes then sticky.

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I had that problem for awhile. But exposing as little of the pick as I can seems to have solved it for me.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

when i strum i have as my goal to strum as lightly on the strings as possible while retaining as big a sound as possible. try that. it may help.

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

I had that problem for awhile. But exposing as little of the pick as I can seems to have solved it for me.

I tried that...I ended up occasionally hitting the strings with my fingers...hurting my fingers, putting it out of tune and scaring myself into thinking I've just broken the string. Just get a pick with a rough grip...don't use those totally smooth ones...uhh...like I do. And getting that sticky snot stuff...imagine touching you guitar wiht that...does it come off easy?

I myself had the most annoying problem while strumming on me acoustic and the stupid pick slipped out myhand and fell into the sound hole causing me to waste about half an our shaking the thing around trying to get it out.

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Take a pick with you when you go out and when you're walking around somewhere, doing errands or something, hold it, turn it in your fingers, flip it over in your fingers and generally play around with - until it becomes instinctive.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I had exactly the same problem awhile back and after I had been playing for a very long time. I realized after trying the sticky stuff, drilling holes in the pick and using textured picks that it still happened. Turns out I was just relaxing too much and just had to tighten up a little on the pick and the problem went away.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I tried that...I ended up occasionally hitting the strings with my fingers...hurting my fingers, putting it out of tune and scaring myself into thinking I've just broken the string.
Yeah, it did take a bit of experimentation to get it right. :D

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@catalina3899)
Estimable Member

I agree with shan65, try switching to another brand of pick. Like the Dunlop gator grips. You also could try a few drops of superglue and dust the glue with sand.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

demoetc....I am gonna do that! I bet it will help! Thanks all for the input! :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote