Notifications
Clear all

Picking

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@garciarules)
Topic starter  

I started guitar a few months ago, and uptil now everythings been fine. But whenever I try any fast riff (however simple it it may be) my strumming hand becomes FROZEN. What do i do????????????????

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Play SLOW! to gain accuracy then once your hands have memory speed up.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@garytalley)
Trusted Member

Yep.Play Slow.And relax.Pay attention to your breathing.Don't hold your breath and tense up. Play along with a metronome at a slow tempo.Don't worry about speed at all. It'll come.

creator of #1 video"Guitar Playing for Songwriters"

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

Better to be slow and clean then fast and sloppy.

Just keep working on it. Some riffs are harder then others, and you really shouldn't expect to be able to do everything you want at the same speed as the original recording.

You might want to start a collection of cool riffs, and work on each one for five minutes at a time.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

As other have said, slow and easy wins this race.
When you get comfortable playing the piece slowly don't jump to high gear. instead make it a gradual increase in speed.
A very important facter is tenseness. Try to keep your muscles (all of them from fingers to shoulders and neck) as relaxed as possible. It actually takes a conscious effort to do this. If you feel yourself starting to tense up again stop and relax a bit.

ReplyQuote
(@wadesisk)
Eminent Member

I had sort of the same problem and found that I was holding the pick too slanted so that it was sort of digging into the strings on the upstroke. The faster I tried to pick the worse it dug in and fought me. Slow down and examine the mechanics of your picking.

ReplyQuote