Notifications
Clear all

Picking Technique

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dustin)
Topic starter  

Hey guys, (and of course I mean that in a totally non-gender specific way!)

I have a question about pick technique. I am an absolute beginner and I know this will probably improve with time, but I am confused on what kind of right hand technique I should use. Does anyone have some tips on how to maintain reference between the six strings. I have to concentrate so hard on fretting the notes that I have a terrible time hitting the right string with my pick. Also, when I play chords I have a difficult time evenly strumming each of the proper strings, particularly with up strokes. And finally, in what manner should I try to strike the strings with the pick? Should I hold it at a specific angle and how much should actually make contact with the string? I know lots of questions :? (and I have more on the way I'm sure!) I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Dustin

I got my first real six string,
Bought it at the five and dime...
Played it til my fingers bled
OUCH! That's no joke!

(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Don't try to get good at both hands at the same time. Try strumming just all the strings while concentrating on your chords. When you get the chords on reflex without looking, then work on your picking. Or vice versa (hold one chord and work on picking), whichever way you prefer, just the point is to work on one thing at a time until you are happy with your progress. When you can work both things separately, then you can work on your hands working together. :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@dustin)
Topic starter  

The reason that I am doing a little bit of both is because I am currently using Hal Leonard's Guitar Method books to start out. He begins by teaching individual notes and then begins mixing in chords. He has little exercises to practice both, simple little melodies and chord strumming. That is why I am trying to learn the fretboard and figure out how to distinguish between the strings with my right hand at the same time.

I got my first real six string,
Bought it at the five and dime...
Played it til my fingers bled
OUCH! That's no joke!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The only real method is practice,practice,practice.
One thing that helped my right hand technic is practice picking the open strings and concentrate just on what the right hand is doing.
Only the tip of the pic should contact the string.
Play the exercises that Hal Leonard gives until you can play them with your eyes shut.
It won't be long and you will be able to hit any string you want and can ignore your right hand all together.

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

I'm from the north so "hey guys" is always non-gender specific. I agree that you should work on your right hand separately from your left. I started fingerpicking and lost my ability to use a plectrum (pick) and so I had the same problem. Here is some advice, the first 2 exercises I actually got from others on this board:

1 - Play alternating strings using one as the base (not bass): Hit the 6th string, then hit string 1, string 6, 2, 6, 3 - Low E is string 6, high E is string 1 - let me right this out in tab:
E-----0------------------------------------------------------------------
B-----------------0------------------------------------------------------
G-----------------------------0-----------------------------------------0
D-------------------------------------0-----------------------0---------- and so on....
A----------------------------------------------------0-------------------
E-0--------0------------0--------0----------0-------------0-------0----

Go up and down the strings returning to your root string with out looking at your picking hand! Then change the root string and repeat the same. Also, you need to alternate pick - I use a downstroke on string 3 if from there I am moving to string 1, I use an upstroke on string 3 if from there I am moving to string 5.

2 - Play:

E-------------------------------------------------
B--------------------------------------------------
G---------------------------------------------1--2-
D-------------------------------1--2--3--4-------- and so on
A----------------1--2--3--4-----------------------
E--1--2--3--4-------------------------------------

Make sure to play it and all 6 strings going up and down. Seems exceptionally simple, I know but I think it helps. Make sure you use alternate picking: down, up. Alternate picking is really important and you will be glad you practiced it in the beginning. I guess this can help coordinating your right and left hand too, hopefully.

As for picking angle, it changes - I hope this is proper advice - at least it does for me. The faster you pick the bigger angle the plectrum will have to the strings. I guess you're not playing anything really fast so just try to keep the pick perpendicular.

On how to hold the pick, I am really bad. I am always told to choke up on it a little more. Onle a very very little part of the pick should stick out beyond your fingers. If you just choked up, choke up again a little more. Probably like a 1/4" showing. This may be wrong but it gives me much better control and I was just given this advice. I use to hold the pick with like 3/4" hanging out - which makes it really hard to strum drum rolls or whatever they are called!

I hope this helps and if I made any mistakes someone way more experienced and knowledgable will come along and correct me! When picking with a plectrum, not while strumming, you place your pinky on the pick guard of the guitar to support your picking hand, just in case you don't already - this will make picking much easier.

Welcome to the board,
Purple

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote