Scale length

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jimiraysantana)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi
I'm looking for an electric and wondered what effect scale length has on playability and tone.

I have arthritis and can't stretch my fingers that well or push down too hard on some bar chords. I've been playing acoustic for about 11 months and slowly beginning to see some promise but would like to get the right electric.

Thanks

Dave

(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

let's see if i can explain this....the scale length is the distance from the nut to the bridge. for example a fender strat/tele is 25.5 inches from the nut to the bridge while a gibson les paul is 24 3/4. generally the fret spacing on the shorter scale lengths seems to be closer and the strings don't feel quite as taut. but thats just my opinion. a gibson scale length and lighter strings (.009's) should give you ease of playability, especially if you have arthritis. as far as tone goes, i think the longer scale lengths are a bit "brighter" sounding while the short scales seem to have a "fatter" slackier (if that isn't a word, it is now) sound. but p/u choice could also play a role in this as well.

hope that made sense

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote