Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Picks with Holes?

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I heard these picks aren't supposed to slip out of your hand as much so I thought I would make one (very easy with a 1/8 in drill bit!)

However the pick still slips out of my hand...not as much as before but it can still be a pain...

How tightly are you suppose to hold the pick when you are strumming?

Thanks

(@patrick)
Reputable Member

I don't know how tightly you're 'supposed' to hold the pick...though I supsect the proper answer is 'just tight enough that it doesn't slip.' Too tight and you might lose fluidity in the picking hand.

I also have trouble with pick slippage. I've tried Dunlop Gator Grips, and picks with lots of tiny sharp bumps, both of which are supposed to grip better than regular picks. I've even textured my picks by making lots of tiny bumps by quickly touching with a soldering iron. All of these still didn't grip well for me. I've tried double-sided tape. It works good, but the stickyness wears off after about 2 hours or so.

So I now use...get ready to laugh...a bit of tree sap (pine, spruce or fir) for grip. Only problem is that if you get any on your strings, you got a sticky mess. I also use violin rosin, though the one I tried (amber color) is hard and not sticky enough. The darker ones are supposed to be softer/stickier.

Cool Picks makes some picks with a rubber grip and others with sandpaper grip. Gorilla Snot is sticky stuff meant for gripping picks and drumsticks. Gonna try some soon.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I wish they still made StickUm...the stuff the football receivers used to use in the 70's and early 80's...Now that stuff was STICKY!!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Go to most guitar stores and buy Gorilla Snot for $5 or go to any bowling alley and buy Sure Grip for $3. Sure grip smells better by the way. Both work great and since you use such a small amount it does not get all over everything. After awhile you will get so relaxed with the pick you will no longer need the stuff.

Ironically I have found out that the tighter you hold the pick the more it slips and the worse your strumming is so try to relax and just hold it tight enough.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I have one of those picks and find the holes just too small. I experimented with an HSS drill bit of about 6 or 8mm. Don't drill all the way through, just make a crater - 6 to 8 is enough (maybe) on both sides

Click here - it's the one above the coin

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Gino
(@gino)
Trusted Member

Over the last few weeks, I've grown to like the F1 pick. http://www.f1pick.com

I say and write what I'm thinking, then wish I hadnt.
My only redeeming feature is that I'm honest.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

An interesting idea, but it looks to me like a page full of gimmicks. Then again I've got a great grip on my picks. I lightly greased my fingers a moment ago and could still play fine. If I just get plenty of index finger and thumb on there and hold it lightly, then I've got no problem. I guess some people may be naturally slippery, but that approach works fine for me.

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

This is the gimmick to top all gimmicks, but I once let my 5 year-old son strum a little bit. When I got the pick back it was stickier than you can imagine. I don't know what he had on his hands, but my suggestion is find a little kid, let him hold your pick for about two minutes and you won't be able to shake the thing off your hand. Yikes.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@jubby)
Trusted Member

So I now use...get ready to laugh...a bit of tree sap (pine, spruce or fir) for grip. Only problem is that if you get any on your strings, you got a sticky mess.
I wowuld suggest that you try using pine tar, go to your local sports store and look in the baseball section. I would recommend getting liquid pine tar and getting a pad you can put it on to minimize mess, but oh boy, pine tar on bare hands is sticky stuff, i'm sure it would work well on picks

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

With my luck I'd be wearing the stuff!!

ReplyQuote
(@jubby)
Trusted Member

although I believe they still do make a version of stickum, i saw a firm grip can in a med kit, the stuff is sticky alright.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

although I believe they still do make a version of stickum, i saw a firm grip can in a med kit, the stuff is sticky alright.
Read back up the post. I commented on a couple of brands that are available. Not as nasty as pine tar and a lot easier to use.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@mwilliams)
Trusted Member

I've only been playing for 3 months now and pick "slippage" was a major issue for me. It seemed like I was constantly adjusting the pick. I tried to firm up my grip, but this caused me to uncontrollably strum harder...which sounded like crap. For me, three things help to almost eliminate this problem all-together (I say almost because I still find the pick moves, but not nearly as much....or as drastic).

I now hold the pick a bit differently (the side of my index finger, samiched between the thumb), I use a lighter gauge pick (Dunlop...the orange one, unsure of the gauge number) vs. the Fender Medium and as a member stated earlier, I'm a bit more relaxed when I now play. I'm feeling like I've now eliminated one of my obstacles (one less thing to think about...now if I could just nail this damn G to C progression!).

Take care,

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I've seen guys use a thumb tack to make holes in picks. The advantage is that by using a tack it leaves sharp bumps on one side (unless you alternate the side you push the tack into) which gives a nice "non-slip" surface. Seemed to work pretty good and can be done in a pinch.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I now hold the pick a bit differently (the side of my index finger, samiched between the thumb)....
That's exactly how I do it. The trick is to get enough skin on the surface of the pick that it doesn't want to move around. The other trick is to hold the pick lightly enough that your fingers move with it rather than staying in place while the pick moves. Once you get that down thicker picks work just fine for strumming. I never use anything less than a 1mm thick pick, and a prefer something around 2mm.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2