Clear all

Plastic Bracing

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The local shop has just picked up a line of Canadan built acoustic gutars that use an injection molded bracing. They're called Garrison guitars. I picked one up and noodled around with it a little. It had an action that was real similar to my EPI Riviera with a nice bright sound and very light weight.

Anybody heard of this brand? Any negatives?

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Garrison's are getting good reviews for tone and consistancy. However, as with any new technology, some have expressed concerns about longevity and repairability -- though with no particular evidence one way or another. Seems as if they ought to be last as long as a resin/polyester-laden Ovation, whose lifetime is put between 20 and 30 years.

You mention the Garrison is light. This is interesting, as one complaint against some models has been the relative heaviness.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

Many people have good things to say about Garrison guitars, the bracing is a plastic for lack of the correct term. And it's probably more stable than wood, it's probably better from a consistancy standpoint. I played one in a shop once and it had a nice sound. That being said, I still prefer wood. I would love to have a martin, love the sound, but the DX1 is about all I can afford now, it has a nice "martin sound" but I just cant bring my self to spend 500 bucks on a guitar thats backs and sides dont even look like wood.

I guess I'm just old fashion, the new stuff is probably just fine it may be better, but I still prefer all wood....... I just turned forty and my nine year old son has reminded me several times that I'm "Over the Hill"

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

I love my DX1. Who really cares what the back and sides are made of if it sounds good, and to my ears it was the best sounding guitar in a store under $1000.

I haven't played Garrison's, but I thought the bracing was plexiglass or something similar? I seem to remember seeing that in an ad...

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

To tell you the truth I just snaged the first one off the rack without paying too much attention. The shop had five or six diferent models. The sides and back were wood, top spruce and the guitar had a pizo bridge with a three band EQ. I didn't plug it in, just noodled around with it to see if I would like the action.The shop was asking about $650 for it. Everything in there is about 100-200 bucks more than internet prices. I didn't think that was to un-reasonable.

The bracing is some sort of "high tech composit" acording to the advertisments. The thing that would worry me would be the possibility of the bracing comming loose from the top or bottom from tempature or humidity changes. I guess I should check the warrenty policy for such a possible problem.

The impression I got was it felt lighter than my wifes Ovation or the equivilant EPIs they had in. Just an impression not measured.

BTW at 46 with grandkids I'm realy on the downhill slide. Buy what the heck I can afford to buy neat toys now that I'm not feeding two teenage boys.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote