Clear all

Played with semi-pros...man I'm humbled

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@red_dwarf)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Been playing for over 2 years. This year I started a casual band with some friends. Amazing time playing with drums, bass, etc. Feeling quite good about myself, playing improvised solos and having fun fooling around.

Got invited to play in a middle aged band, guys that have played since high school. I was blown away. Good guitarists always have a rich arsenal of chords at their disposal. I could barely keep up with my limited knowledge of major and minor barre chords. They played cover songs and did have things written down. I tried to solo over top with scales. Did ok with pentatonic scales.

It was a cool experience and a scary experience. Back to studies and practice for me :(

"The whole purpose in life is to not be bored"

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

It was a cool experience and a scary experience. Back to studies and practice for me :(

No need to feel sad!!! That is the greatest thing about playing guitar! You never know what you are getting into until you get into it. And the good news is, you got into it!

I will always consider myself as a beginner no matter how long I've been playing. Been at it almost 2 years and played at 2 gigs now and walked away both times learning something new. I play with 2-3 other musicians on any given week/weekend and I learn something EVERY time.

Glad to hear you got your feet wet! The best part is, you can't wait to get back again!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

what a great experience. I am so glad for you to have had that experience.

I bet you found ourself playing outside your comfort zone.
hope so, because that's where real growth starts.

most definately go back and jam with those players.

it's so much fun. oh, the intimidation doesnt go completely away.
it's a good thing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Red Dwarf

Just keep playing, and someday you will be the advanced player that humbles the beginner. :D

You will be surprised at some of the great unknown players out there. I have played with players that can play any Van Halen or Randy Rhodes solo note for note. Yet, nobody has ever heard of them or probably ever will.

Yeah, spend all the time you can with more experienced players. This is one of the quickest ways to improve your own guitar playing.

Just stay at it, you'll get there.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

There is always something to be learned for everyone, so keep on jamming!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

I hear you, i got to see a guy play at my friends house and he played like Steve Vai and Joe Satrani (sp?)
It made me feel like my playing was.. well you know. But then i was i could use it to challenge me to play better. but ia havent donw a lot since. :( :(

ReplyQuote