Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

playing in the rain

27 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Watching Prince in the Superbowl's halftime show made me think are there any special percations to take when playing in the rain.

Back in marching band days I didn't take many percations with my sax, just gloves to keep my hands warm enough to move. But then I see my guitar as more fragile then my tenor or any horn for that matter.

(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

good question....firstly are you planning on playing guitar in the rain?

secondly....didn't he look kinda stoopid with his 'washer woman' bandana or is it just me :lol: :lol:

seriously though....electric n water dont mix without some seriously expensive equipment....as for wrecking his gear... i dont think the cost comes into the equation with an event of this magnitude :roll:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

good question....firstly are you planning on playing guitar in the rain?

secondly....didn't he look kinda stoopid with his 'washer woman' bandana or is it just me :lol: :lol:

seriously though....electric n water dont mix without some seriously expensive equipment....as for wrecking his gear... i dont think the cost comes into the equation with an event of this magnitude :roll:
Actually my church's band has played outside when the weather has been wet but never in directly under the rain drops.

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

a big hello from a former sax player!

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

It's only safe if you're playing a rain related song, for example: Purple Rain. Others like A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall, Who'll Stop The Rain, or Zeppelin's The Rain Song are also safe.. but anything other than that and you'd be playing with fire. In which case, you'd want to play Light My Fire, Ring of Fire, etc. It's complicated stuff, playing in the elements.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

It's only safe if you're playing a rain related song, for example: Purple Rain. Others like A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall, Who'll Stop The Rain, or Zeppelin's The Rain Song are also safe.. but anything other than that and you'd be playing with fire. In which case, you'd want to play Light My Fire, Ring of Fire, etc. It's complicated stuff, playing in the elements.

One of the first songs I learned was Fire and Rain. Guess I'm prepared already.

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Am I the only one who thinks it wasn't him playing the solo during Purple Rain? My guitar playing roomate agrees. What are your thoughts?

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Since there was an 80 percent chance of being electrocuted to death, probably not...

A real musician lives on that twenty percent edge, man! You gotta' be out there in order to be in. That's the chance you have to take to truly rock.

Prince has chops though, I wouldn't doubt that. And if it was piped in over the sound-system, I wouldn't doubt it was him on tape, either.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

prince can tear up the guitar. that wasn't one of his most impressive performances, but it was pretty fun. that distortion-into-clean thing he was doing was ear-catching and, if not original, at least rare.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

If you're playing through a wireless rig, does that help prevent getting shocked?

I've played in a light rain (hardwired), but I wasn't singing so I didn't have any of that amp-to-mic lip-zing stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@meebit)
Eminent Member

Well, reduce the odds, and as it's battery powered there's not enough electricity to kill you. Unless you have a pacemaker, and I doubt even then it would do anything.

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Wireless keeps you safe from electrocution 'cause you're isolated from the big voltage by a big airgap. As for trashing that nice Telecaster, well, I bet that wasn't his #1 guitar....

OTOH, nothing could have prevented God from sending a lightning bolt on account of that thing on Prince's head. I couldn't look, I figured it had to happen any second.

I'm always baffled by the superbowl halftime show, no matter how good the performer is they never manage to figure out how to have it not be lame.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

there were certainly enough fumbled notes for it to have been done live by Prince...

Sir Paul was incredible last year.

..They should have had Billy do the half time show :(

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

there were certainly enough fumbled notes for it to have been done live by Prince...
:shock:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Err.That wasn't a knock on Prince. But the playing wasn't perfect, so it seemed like it was really a live performance, not pre-recorded.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2