Clear all

Playing rhythm and solo parts of a song by yourself

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It's weird... now that I am not taking lessons, I'm actually very interested in learning the solos in songs. This is something I was resisting while taking lessons. Very weird. Maybe now it's because I want to learn them.

Last week I finally figured out and tabbed the harmonica solo in Heart of Gold and can play it as a melody on the guitars (either electric or acoustic). I can even play it along with the original recording, and guess what, it sounds good. Tonight I did the same with the slide guitar solo in My Sweet Lord. I even figured out that it's a D maj that gets strummed on the slide guitar before the melody line starts, and in between.

And when I played it along with the recording, it also sounded pretty good. Yay me! As a side note, the slide guitar solo sounds better on the electric guitar, but the rhythm is much better on the acoustic. I need two more hands (that would answer the question below). :mrgreen:

The question is... How would you tie the solo in with the rhythm? For example take Heart of Gold and My Sweet Lord (the same will apply to Sundown, Proud Mary, and a lot of my favorites in my songbook). I can't (yet) play a chord/melody kind of thing. Are there any tips or tricks to keep it from sounding like an abrupt change from rhythm to the solo? :? I'm really reluctant to not play the solos, since they are a part of these songs.

Now, I don't want anyone to think I'm looking for a free lesson but I know one of you "real" players has to know.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, I know what you are saying, when you go from rhythm guitar to the solo, the bottom drops out.

And really, if you go from playing chords to single notes, there's not a whole lot you can do. You can boost your volume for the solo, and you can add more nuance, like vibrato to make a note sound bigger and sustain.

But really, the best trick I've learned over the years is not to play a single note solo, PLAY DOUBLE STOPS.

Here is an example, play both and tell me which one has more feel and meat on the bone.

Blues riff in A single notes
~~~
e----------------------
b---8----7----5--------
g------------------6---
d----------------------
a----------------------
e----------------------
1 2 3 4

Blues riff in A double stops
~~~
e----------------------
b--/8----7----5--------
g--/9----7----5h6--6---
d------------------7---
a----------------------
e----------------------
1 2 3 4

If you are playing with other musicians, you can play single note solos. But if it is just you and your electric or acoustic, try using double stops. Now the bottom will not fall out. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Good stuff Wes, thanks mucho! Yes, your example does sound "fatter". I've seen double stops written, but since I wasn't interested in doing the solos until now, I never paid attention. What a doofus! :oops: :lol:

It will take a little more thinking and practice, but I think I can do it. I also think I can also work in some slides, hammers, pulls, etc... it is much better than just plucking the string.

This is becoming a fun challenge.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

OK, I just fidoodled around with it. Being the kind of person that sometimes think that if 2 aspirins work, 4 work even better, I did the solos with double and triple stops, even a quadruple or 2. Fantastic! Sounds very "chordlike" and harmonious. I'm really charged now. :D

ReplyQuote