Playing two instruments?

18 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@ich-kampfe)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I play both guitar and bass and I was wondering which is best:

Play Guitar one day, and Bass the next, then Guitar, and so forth?

or

Divide my time each day for both?

or

Choose one and master it only?

I ask this because I seem to neglect my Bass..a lot!

My Gear:
Gibson SG, Fender Jazz Bass, Squier Strat
Fender Frontman 15G and 15B( 15w of power, baby! :( Not to mention a sound that will make your ears bleed! m/ )
Jim Dunlop Fins (.67 mm, the best)
My New Best Friend: The Metronome

(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Go by feel.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@noel-iu)
Estimable Member

Hi
I wish I could play everything that falls in my hands... and I wont reject to play anything... but I know I can not master every single instrument.
So... if you got it... why not to play it? maybe one day your band need you to play bass in one song or two and it'll rock if you know how to.
I'm learning to play guitar as first instrument... but i'm taking lessons on piano, and trying to learn harmonica as well...
Human mind is capable of much more than we think...

http://www.freewebs.com/noel-iu

http://noel-iu.dmusic.com/

ReplyQuote
 hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member

You might progress i little bit slower in some areas, but
thats not a problem, if you want to play both, you should
play both :D

Never call a shovel "an ingenious hole-digging instrument"

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Ich,

care to explain your choice of avatar while you're at it.

Seems a bit Hitleresque to me. But then i don't speak much German.

Being a Brit, I would love you to explain what its all about?

Cheers

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@ich-kampfe)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ich,

Cheers

Matt

My family is German and I was born there many years ago. My Parents moved to the states when I was 6 or 7. Why I don't know, but anyway I still have pride in being German.

What's with people and German = Nazi? By the way Kampf is not some rare word that only Hitler used for his book. Anyway my username says " I Fight." I don't necessarily fight for Nazism.

My Gear:
Fender Frontman 15G and 15B( 15w of power, baby! :( Not to mention a sound that will make your ears bleed! m/ )

ReplyQuote
(@ich-kampfe)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I guess I'll have to make time to play both.

I think what makes me play guitar so often is the thought of being the one that stands out, with Bass most people don't even notice them.

My Gear:

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I'd agree with the "go by feel" comment. If you want to play bass at a time, play it, if u dont, play guitar. If you find yourself 'neglecting' your bass, I can only imagine that the reason is that you prefer guitar. So do whatever floats your boat basically.

I remember wondering the samething about your avator. But I looked up your user name and then I was like "Ahh, there ya go" haha.

Anywho, good luck with both. (I happen to want to learn piano and Sax as well as guitar)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Play both whenever you feel like playing them. I have started taking guitar lessons some weeks ago, and will be enrolled in the lcoal music school for keybord lessons. So maybe you wont be both a keybord and guitar-god. Maybe you wouldn';t have been either of them anyway. Who cares, just have fun with music.

And keep the avatar. It amuses me.

ReplyQuote
(@ich-kampfe)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Alright, I'll go by "feel."

Anyone care to comment on how the hell I am supposed to finger pick with bass? I looked up some stuff and it gives me all sorts of information on the "floating anchor" and the use of 3 fingers, etc. I suppose it is worth the trouble since finger picking is better than using a pick..supposedly.

Heh, I wouldn't give up this avatar for the world.. I feel like a rebel now!
Which is quite sad considering it is just a German flag.

My Gear:

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

There's a german flag at the top of my stairwell in my apartment. Both my roommate and I speak German, and he spend 6 months in Germany, so we felt it appropriate. Nothing wrong with professing your heritage, it's just unfortunate that there's a slight stigma related to it...

Anyways, back to the thread...I have a similar issue that you might identify with. Lately ive been neglecting my electric guitar, a lovely black Ibanez with really cool triangle inlays (love then inlayS!!!!)...but it hasnt been out of the case in MONTHS! I play my acoustic cos it's what i like now...but i will pick up the Ibanez again. And you will play both as well...it's normal

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

For the record, I like the avatar, too. I like especially the way it waves.

Two instruments? Do whatever suits you. I'd like to do that myself but I want to be fairly proficient at my first one before I start working on another. I figure better to be halfway decent at one than to suck at two. Anyhow that's the way I look at it.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Anyone care to comment on how the hell I am supposed to finger pick with bass?
Just pull the string parallel to the fingerboard. You can either let your finger come to rest against the next string, or pluck so that your finger misses it. Just experiment for a while, and don't worry about the "proper" way to do it. Make sure your wrist isn't too sharply bent, and you'll get the hang of it. Ask some more in the basses section of the forums if you need more help.

ReplyQuote
 Gump
(@gump)
Trusted Member

Ich,

Cheers

Matt

Aw jeez... take it somewhere else.
This is a guitar forum!

ReplyQuote
 Gump
(@gump)
Trusted Member

I guess I'll have to make time to play both.

I think what makes me play guitar so often is the thought of being the one that stands out, with Bass most people don't even notice them.

Yeah, but basses seem to be commonly used in a lot of ensembles where guitars aren't. (A single electric guitar has a way of turning a band into a guitar band.) The main thing is to play whatever your friends don't. 8)

As far as dividing time goes, I can relate. When I don't have time to play bass I make myself at least run through the cycle of keys in major, melodic minor, and the major & minor pentatonic scales. I have a little routine worked out which takes about 15-20 minutes to run through. Keep in mind that most everything you learn on bass carries over to the guitar.

Besides being cool in and of itself, playing bass is a great way to get over "guitar boredom", which happens to everyone once in a while.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2