practice help please

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Right now I want to work on my cord changes, I know E, Em, A, Am, C, D, G. I can't do an F cord for the life of me. What can I do to work on changing quickly and cleanly from cord to cord?
I can go from E to C to Am fast, but not from D to C, G to D is coming along.
It just seems when I work on the changes all I am doing is noodeling, when I practice I just strum dudududud pause for cord change dududud pause for random cord change dududu and so on.
I can play horse with no name if I slow the tempo down, I started to learn heart of gold along time ago some times I hit the Em to D ok some times I don't.
It just seems that I am practicing the same stuff over and over and not getting that much better, I feel I need new material to work on, to mix it up a bit, but hate to move on when I can't play the songs that I know now. Any advice would be helpful.

Tim

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

chord has an h. cord is like rope. well, i'd learn an f chord with the partial barre, where you fret the top e & b strings with your index finger xx3211 <easier>, or x33211 <harder>, and maybe try house of the rising sun or some other songs. many songs can be played with the chords you know. i'd suggest looking up the chord changes to songs you like and learning them. it's more fun that way, and you'll focus more than if you're just trying to learn to play the songs that everyone has to learn as a beginner. the internet is a great tool if you use it.
other than that, just keep at it. have a cetain progression and rhythm in mind, and do your best to play it. playing the guitar is a lot about repetition. a 4 minute song might only have 3 chords with the same order and rhythm the entire time. or course, some songs move around a lot more. in any case, it takes effort to get over that beginning hump. the more effort you put in, the more rewards you get out of it.

ReplyQuote
 Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Jason for the advice :D , and spelling lesson hehe :oops: chord chord chord chord :wink:
I really appreciate the time you took to answer me.

Tim

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

well, i have a thing for muppets. anyone who can take an entire fist up their keister gets nothing but respect from me.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Quick chord changes get easier with practice. What I'd suggest is trying to play along with the record - go for getting the changes in on the beat they come in and use the ret of the time until the next chord change getting your fingers in place for the next one. So, a strummmmmmmmmmmmm and change rather than a dudududu and try to change oh so quickly.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote