Clear all

Practice Routine: Mind, Body & Soul

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've devised a routine that, I believe, will help me to become a more well-rounded and rehearsed guitar player. I call it the Mind, Body & Soul routine. I know it seems like a lot to cram into 90 minutes, but I think it's doable. I've been working with 30 minute routines for awhile, and I need more, baby!

I'm going to implement this, come back, and find this thread next week to let you know how it's working for me. If I'm sticking with it, I'll keep coming back and giving an update on a weekly basis!

I'd like to know what you guys think of this type of routine.

Mind (30 minutes)

Reading (or re-reading) a chapter of Hal Leonard's Pocket Music Theory which I just picked up on a business trip.

Listen to one or two tracks from an experienced and artistic guitarrist such as Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Doyle Dykes, Dennis Agajanian, etc.

Work from Mel Bay's Modern Guitar Method (or similar) in an effort to become a music reader.

Body (30 minutes)

Various stretching exercises to reach across more than 4 frets. Also to limber up the fingers.

Practicing mechanics. Working with the "Speed Trainer" feature of Guitar Pro through various exercises for speed and technique.

Strength training through hammer-ons, pull-offs, tapping. Slow sweeps and arpeggios for control.

Soul (30 minutes)

Learn a song (or parts of a song). Jam to a backing track.
Songs, buddy.. this is, after all, the goal of learning to play an instrument.
Relax (but not too much) and take the focus off of the mechanics.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." - Jimi Hendrix

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I see some important components missing (ear training).

And I see some stuff over-emphasised (learning songs compared to perfecting technique).

But depending where you're at, it might work for you. Good luck with it!

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I see some important components missing (ear training).

And I see some stuff over-emphasised (learning songs compared to perfecting technique).

But depending where you're at, it might work for you. Good luck with it!

For ear training... I'm not quite sure how to approach this, although it may fall into the "mind" category. Are there any "ear training" tutorials out there? I'm sure a text-only tutorial will do little justice to the art. This is one of those that I figured would happen over time (esp. when learning to read music).

Learning songs vs. technique: I guess this depends on what songs are being learned. Most songs are simply combinations of techniques played over various scales and progressions, are they not? Therefore is one not practicing technique when one is practicing songs? There are various techniques (such as tapping, slides, etc.) that had it not been for practicing songs, I probably would not otherwise have learned.

Still, I may make adjustments as necessary (Body to 45 minutes and Soul to 15 or other).

I have been playing the guitar for around 13 years. The first two years I was serious, then I started to slack off. I am a middle-of-the-road player. I can treat the family to campfire tunes. I can play "Sultans of Swing" without fudging, but when it comes down to it, my experience is limited. Only in the last few months have I really delved back into solid playing.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." - Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

For ear training there are plenty of very very good programs out there. I happen to use Ear Master Pro 5, but there are plenty of good choices including both freely available on-line stuff and pay software.

To me, learning songs is noodling around. Practice is about refining technique. Learning songs can be part of that at times, but usually when a song exemplifies the use of a technique you're working on. The big exception is if you're preparing for a performance when "refining technique" should go out the window and everything should be about learning the songs you're going to play.

Ideally you'd want to have at least a few times a year when you have to prepare for a new performance.

But that's just me, other folks are much more oriented to learning songs.

Though, most people are very surprised to learn how much time professional musicians spend on things like scales and how little time they spend on songs.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

To me, learning songs is noodling around.

But to some of us, learning songs is a big part of motivation. For me personally, I would like to be able to play several full songs solo, some with accoustic fingerpicking and some electric. But I have to spend time on technique and theory to get to that point. This is an "end" vs "means" issue..

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Vink,

I don't disagree.

I'm just saying that to me learning songs (while I agree is important and something you should be spending time doing) isn't what you spend your PRACTICE time doing.

That's me and my take. Others view it differently. I don't claim to be right or to have the answers for everyone.

I do know, however, that most people are quite amazed at how much time professional musicians spend on things like scales. The reason is that it's that foundational technique stuff that lets you pick up any song you want with ease if it's there, and makes learning any song you want to learn hard if it's not.

ReplyQuote
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm just saying that to me learning songs (while I agree is important and something you should be spending time doing) isn't what you spend your PRACTICE time doing.

Unfortunately, for me, I have a more-than-full-time job, a wife, child, and am in the process of starting two businesses. Practice time is the only time I have to play guitar. If I don't work it into my routine, I won't be able to do it at all.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Unfortunately, for me, I have a more-than-full-time job, a wife, child, and am in the process of starting two businesses. Practice time is the only time I have to play guitar. If I don't work it into my routine, I won't be able to do it at all.

Wife, 2 dogs, 4 kids, more than full time job, give lessons, camp on weekends, occassionally get to play someplace ...

Trust me, I understand. It's very hard to find the time. But I still find a couple hours a day. Usually when I'd rather be sleeping ...

ReplyQuote
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Usually when I'd rather be sleeping, I'm at work... so often, I find myself sleeping when I'd rather be working. My job is 24 hour call (no rotation, so I'm the only on-call support for a 10 million pound polypropylene plant 7 days a week, 50 weeks a year [2 vacation] - usually 1 to 3 calls per night). I try to sleep when I can.

I'm not trying to make excuses. I really have a hard time even finding 30 minutes, so I finally bribed my wife into giving me 90 minutes. I gotta use it as best I can. Working songs into it is the only way I can see to take that advantage.

However, I have taken some of your advice. The songs that I will select will be those that utilize heavily the techniques that I am practicing. That way, I can get the theory and real-world usage all in one session.

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

I've been playing for a year and a seven months and for the first year I spent over half of my practice time learning songs at a slow pace. Now I understand that technique is very important so I spilt up technique and song learning to 50/50 during practice. Since I been doing that song learning is easier.

Now it depends on your goals. Someone who wants to perform need to pour energy into technique. Someone like me who wants to learn songs more than anything would mostly practice songs during practice which I think is a bad thing because technique can make those finger changes easier.

I find it funny that someone who never played the guitar will think your a great guitarist if you can a play a song that they know, but if play them some very fast banjo rolls they will think you suck.

I like your practice routine considering your busy personal life!!

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Looks like today's going to be a crap day to practice. I was making dinner for my wife, turned on the wrong burner, and decided about 5 minutes later to remove another burner's cover plate... turns out the cover plate was a bit "toasty". Now, my thumb is wrapped in bandages (picking hand). Sure makes holding a pick quite awkward, and I don't want to develop a bad habit... that, and I can't get the wife to turn off the TV long enough for me to practice. I'm going to try to go study some theory in the bedroom or something.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Hope you recover quickly bud. Your routine seems fine to me. Ear training would probably happen naturally, as you become used to where notes are on the guitar, it would give you a decent ability in the field. However, if you want to work on it, just spend time with songs you like, and figure out how they go without tabs and such. Might help to slow them down with windows media player as well.

Undoubtably this routine will give you improvements.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote