Clear all

Practice Routine

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Undercat,

Have you looked at Kirk's book PlainTalk. I can't believe I'm promoting it since I had a disagreement with Kirk about it several months ago. I had a problem with it being touted as a secret and he couldn't tell me anything about his methodology which to mean meant ripoff.

No, but I did pick up a copy of Freboard Logic yesterday, I already use many of the concepts in my playing regularly, but this is helping focus some of those things that had previously been very abstract in my mind.
Anyway, I've used Fretboard warrior and that's really just rote memorization, which could get you to your goal if you do it long enough, but Kirk's book will open the fretboard up in a different way much quicker than trying to memorize all the notes. Plus with his method you don't concentrate on note names(matter of fact they are unnecessary)you concentrate on intervals.

Well actually, the rote memorization is exactly what I'm looking for at the moment. I have a good grasp of intervals, I think I'm really decent as a pentatonic soloist, I'm using tension/release principles, adding some chromatic interest, playing all up and down the fretboard, etc, and really getting the sounds I want. However, I rarely know what notes I'm playing, which is usually fine in rock, but makes me everything but useless playing jazz.

Most of this was ignited by a conversation on modes I had with Noteboat a few months ago, where he asked if I could change my key of soloing along with the music, which I can't. I thought I could, but after a few attempts to improvise over some slow jazz... I can't. So first comes that memorization, then I'll be focusing on traditional jazz chords with my instructor, then I'll move on to soloing, and hopefully, I'll actually know what I'm doing!
Nick did a review of it and that's why I decided to give it a try. I haven't read it through or even attempted to start putting any of it to practice yet but I think it will be a valuable tool.

If it's similar in concept to FB Logic, then I imagine it certainly would be. I'll likely be ordering that along with Tom's book in the near future.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

I think the fact that you are trying to keep to a schedule is one of the most important things. There are always tons of things you can add to your practice but don't overload yourself at first or you will get frustrated, especially if you're doing it by yourself (without formal lessons, I mean.)
Just gradually add things to your practise.

ReplyQuote
(@musroc)
Eminent Member

I think thats a great practise schedule and most of the stuff are covered up in there.All I can suggest is to start out slow and build your way upto speed. I tried out playing fast at first, and believe me it doesn't help at all. It may sound good to you at first but later on it doesn't sound as good as you'd expect.
I usually keep my practise schedule a few hours a day , if I have time. I start out with pentatonic scales, improvise etc. And after some scale playing, I play the songs I've learned. I dont keep track of the time, and sometimes I keep playing for hours even if its the same thing. And, thats the thing I love about my guitar . No matter how much I play it, I never get tired of it. There is always something new to learn in it. Well, I wish you all the best and have fun.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2