Clear all

Practice time

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ok so I'm wondering how much time I should spend practicing, cause everytime I pick up my guitar I practice 30 minutes then I spend some time just playing, like 1 hour just playing xD or if I have nothing else to do, practice like 1 hour and then play at lib. And I'm wondering if I should be practicing more and playing less or just something you guys recommend that I do.

And when I say practice I almost always just run through the scales a few times, run through all the chords I know, change between them a few times, then I move my chords with a barre ( you know E down to F then F# then G and so on ) with all the chords I know ( which is kinda hard when I try it with C xD ) Then I practice the thing that my teacher gave me that week. And then I continue just goofing off xD. SO do you guys think this is ok, or should I do more ? ( I have all the time in the world xD cause I have nothing to do most of the time )

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Here there are several good articles on practice: https://www.guitarnoise.com/practice/

Hope it helps!

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

If you're playing, you're practicing.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

n the whole that sounds good, you really need to spend time doing both practicing - in other words learning new thingsand reviewing material you've already learned, and just playing. Because at the end of the day what we do is play songs, and all the technique in the world without knowing any songs does you no good. Plus, you need to enjoy yourself, so you need to also spend time with the guitar doing things you like to do. it's the balance between these two that is important.

I recall reading an article I think here, it may have been by Jamie Andreas, talking about the need for both "Vertical" and "Horizontal" development. Vertical is of course learning new techniues, developing greater skill. Horizontal is broadly applying what you already know - learning songs and the like. Both are important.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

In his newest newsletter Jamie tlaks about having FUN with the guitar. Might want to take a look at that.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote