Clear all

Proud Mary verse strum pattern

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

My teacher transcribed the verse strum pattern as D ^ D U D ^ D U... I played it like that along with the recording, and it sounds awful. I played it D U D U D U D U... (D gets the accent) with the recording and it sounds fine. I also saw a Siggi Mertens youtube video where he uses a D U ... pattern (but he palm mutes). I can also follow him even and it sounds good, though I can't palm mute (yet! :wink: ).

Sooo... Anyone have their own or the correct version, or should I just stick with what I do?

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

double D does not feel right. D U as you play feels better. if you accent aD where needed iot should be right.
if it sounds right it is then.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

There ya go! I thought so. They say always listen to your gut feeling. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

One more question about this that I thought of (I hope I didn't ask this before and forget the answer! :oops: )...

As I said, I play along with the recording. I play the rhythm. And this would apply to any other song I'm practicing, of course. When it comes to the solo and I keep playing the rhythm, I'm not sure what to play. Do I play the verse chords for the same number of measures as the verses would be, or do I "wing it" as long as it sounds good? I haven't seen any tab or chord sheets that show it. They usually just have the verse chords then say "play solo here" or something like that, then have the verse chords again.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

That depends on the structure of the song. In Proud Mary, the solo takes place over a whole verse. That's not always the case. Sometimes the solo of a song is put together over an entirely different part. Or maybe just part of a verse. In Susie Q, for instance, the solo is just over the introduction of the song, which is repeated for an extended amount of time.

As you get used to listening to different sections of songs, you'll start to pick this up more with your ears.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

As you get used to listening to different sections of songs, you'll start to pick this up more with your ears.

Peace

Ah, experience! I'll keep at it. Thanks. :)

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hi mate

you could play a lot of patterns with this song, the main thing is to give the right emphasis to the off beat. When i play it with my band i tend to alternate between

du/du/u/du

and

du/u/u/du

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Matteo... I know I am accenting on a particular beat, and it does sound good. My problem is that I couldn't believe that I could be sounding that good so early on. I'll try your patterns too. You don't learn if you don't experiment.

ReplyQuote