Clear all

pull offs and hammers?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@bobthecowboy)
Topic starter  

Am I doing this right?

I'm a beginner trying to learn Penelope, by Pinback on a 6 string Nylon acoustic. I've got some tab here, and there's one part I just can't seem to get down.

at several parts in the song, the tab calls for a "2p05h" on the D string... which if I understand correctly means "play 2nd fret, pull off on the zeroeth fret (let go), then hammer (press down) on the 5th fret"

Now, if I do understand that correctly... is that a hard thing at this point in my guitar career? Cuz I can't seem to hit that hammer on 5 for beans. I've tried just moving my fret finger from the 2p down to the 5h, but its too slow, and I've tried hitting the 5h with my pink, but I typically miss or don't hit it hard enough (though I think this would be the more proper way?)

What do you all think? Should I move on and come back to this later?

Bill

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You could try the hammer with the ring finger. It's a pretty short shift - pull off with 1, hammer with 3.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

This doesn't sound TOO difficult, as NB mentioned, using the ring finger is often superior.

How long have you been playing? If you're just a week or three in, this might be a little difficult at the moment, and you could come back to it later.

If this is your first experience with hammer-ons or pull-offs, you might consider picking something less challenging to start with, or utilize some technique exercises to improve your precision and hand strength.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@bobthecowboy)
Topic starter  

well, I got the guitar back in early october, so a few weeks sounds about right... and it is my first run in with hammers or pull offs. I saw it on the tab of the song I wanted to play and kinda said "aroo?" I had to hunt around to find out what the heck a "2p0h5" was...

I tried with the ring finger for a few minutes, that seems to be a little more reasonable. Thanks for the advice guys!

Bill

ReplyQuote