pull-offs causing higher strings to sound

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

not sure if there is an easy way to answer this w/o seeing it, but when i pull off a string (especially the higher strings - 3 and 2), the next higher string (in this example strings 2 and 1) will sound, either slightly or more loudly.

i know i'm hitting it with my pull off finger, but i'm not sure how to avoid that. it's not something that has just happened as it has been a problem for a while. my teacher used to have me mute the next higher string with the fretting finger (not the finger pulling off) by just lightly touching the next higher string with it so that it won't sound when i pull of with the other finger and hit it.

is that the major solution to this problem, or is there something else that i'm missing that i could do? again i realize it might be hard to describe or understand with writing but i hope some of you can offer suggestions/advice. thank you.

paul

(@joehempel)
Famed Member

The only thing I can think of is that maybe your fingers aren't curved enough on the fret board. Not sure.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I would just "go with it"...it happens all the time. If you are adept enough...or in time, you will be...it'll just "colour" what you play.

If you want a great example...dig up Jeff Beck and Jann Hammer on an album called "Wired". If Beck was a timid guitarist...it'd sound sloppy...but he's not...and it doesn't!

Hope this helps!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Paul. With practice you can stop hitting the other strings. It will just take a little adjustment in your technique. Try pulling a little more up than over on the pull offs. Work on it slowly and then more in tempo.

Denny

ReplyQuote
 pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks everyone for your replies! i appreciate your suggestions!

paul

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

i also had the same problem, but over the past 12 months i have worked hard on muting strings and if i am fretting a note on the 3rd string, my first finger generally mutes strings 1 and 2, so even if i catch them with a pull of they dont ring out.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote