Notifications
Clear all

question about a Fender Newporter

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@apollia)
Topic starter  

Hi, I know you probably get these kind of questions all the time, but I was wondering if you could help me. I have recently come into posession of a Fender Newporter, it belonged to my fiance's grandparents, and had been sitting in the bottom of their closet for many years. It is a beautiful guitar with a wonderful sound, well preserved (although the case has seen better days). I don't know anything about guitars since I am just learning to play, but I would like to know if anyone has any information about this guitar, or knows where I could find it? I think it was made in the 60's but that is only a guess. Thanks so much.

Adrienne

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

All I could find was this:

"14 3/8" wide, mahogany back and sides, single bound top, unbound back, 25.5" scale, dot fingerboard inlays.

* Introduced in 1965 with spruce top.
* Mahogany top, 3 ply pickguard, black finish (optional) by 1968.
* Discontinued 1971. "

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Well, I have a Newporter myself, and I agree, its a beautiful guitar with a great sound. Mine its about to develop a crack at the top of the neck so I'm a little bit sad though :(
Only place I've read about it is here http://www.dylanchords.com/professors/dylans_guitars.htm . It says the series was discontinued in the 70s (because the sound wasn't good...?). Mine is definitely newer than that (bought in 1991(?))

[Cool with the name too IMO - Newport is the festival where Bob Dylan really went electric in 1965. THis was hard for the hard-core folk people - the story goes that Pete Seeger was trying to cut the electricity with an axe while Bob was playing (with Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper ...) ]

Good luck with you playing and your guitar

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

As I understand it, they did a reissue in the 80s/90s. The original series was 68-71

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@catcha)
Trusted Member

Ive got a Newporter myself , got hold of it in the early 80s ,I love the mahogany.
It has aged great and plays like a dream , one of the things Ive always loved about it is that it has a neck pretty much the same depth and feel of a tele caster electric , which makes it a great accoustic for fast licks up the top end.

I also read several times of complaints about the sound of these Fender accoustics and can remember not being overly impressed with it when I bought it , however the sound is great now and realy bluesy and mellow , definately got better over the last 10 years and Im always getting comments on its playability and sustain and ease of big bends / vibratos now its fitted with 010s.

I do have to adjust the trussrod more regular than my other guitars though but its easily accesible through the soundhole.

After having many accoustics over the years this is a keeper , its also something a little different .

Dont give a shite about punctuation or spelling , I have to do that all day at work.
Free times for rocking !!

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

I loved the early Fender acoustics, and played an F-65 (first made 1971) for many years myself, from 1976 to 1999, when I gave it to a friend who was planting a church in India!

Fender's own website has a little info here: http://www.fender.com/support/dating/acoustic_dating.php and a manual even, here: http://www.fender.com/support/manuals/pdfs/instr_owners/Newporter_1965.pdf - have to love that Fender website 8)

ReplyQuote