Notifications
Clear all

Question about posture

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@truthair)
Topic starter  

So, after some quick progress in the last 4 months O've become a bit stuck in progressing with new songs, so I figured "meh, might as well focus on my technique for now" I notice that when I play high up the fretboard (around 10th fret) my left shoulders feels kind of tense. I've tried to figure out what's causing it, but the only thing I can think of is that my hand/arm is too close to my body. Am I playing in a horribly wrong posture or is it just that my shoulder isn't used to to playing yet?

In completely unrelated news, I finally got myself an electric guitar yesterday after 4 months on my dad's old classical guitar. It's an orange Crafter Convoy FM and it looks and sounds terribly sleek :)

(@alangreen)

Tension can really mess up your style and your playing.

Check out Jamey Andreas's site at

http://www.guitarprinciples.com

He talks a lot about the subject there (some of his articles are on this site too), and he's also got some photos relevant to good posture.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I had the same problem when playing up the neck for extended amounts of time. My wrist and shoulder both suffered.
It was, I believe, the somewhat awkward angles to reach that part of the neck (my body bulges a little in the middle so I have to reach around a bit)
But the good new is I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance :D
Just Kidding. With time and practice the problem just seemed to go away.
For two reasons I think.
1. my muscles got used to it.
2. I am more comfortable with my playing so I am more relaxed.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Are you standing when this happens? If so I kind of get the same sensation but I think I know what my problem is.

I hang my guitar pretty low (ya I'm cool),seriously though, and it makes for an awkward reach at some of those higher frets.

Now the easy thing for me to do would be to raise the strap so the guitar sits higher up (very uncool), but since I don't play out I just play for a while that way and if it satarts bothering me I just sit and play.

I usually don't have any problems while I'm sitting.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I have a bar stool that I can lean against or even sit on, if needs be.

Very Dean Martin.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I thought you had a bar you propped up when playing LOL

Slinging your axe low could be part of your problem, truthair. Wear it higher up on your chest - geek style - and see if it makes any difference.

Best,

I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@truthair)
Topic starter  

I usually play sitting unless I'm playing something like punk which isn't that complicated and I play with my guitar strapped quite high as well.
After paying some attention I think I've figured out what's going on. I'm so concentrated on my left hand during practice I keep looking at my hand which means my neck is turned at an odd anglem causing my shoulder to tense. If I don't look I tense up A LOT less. At least since it's my neck tensing up all I get it a little discomfort without it messing up my playing :)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

In that case, put a mirror in front of you when you're playing and watch your hands in that. It fries your brain for a while, but you'll soon get used to it.

Best,

ReplyQuote