Clear all

Locks

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Where the headstock meets the fretboard, there are 3 screwholes(apart from the screws holding it together). When I bought the guitar, the owner said they were for locking the strings. So I was wondering what is the purpose of locking the strings? And if they aren't for locking the strings, what are they for?

(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

What kind of guitar is it? That sounds like the screws for a Floyd Rose or similar locking trem system. They "lock" the strings down so that they stay in tune when you dive bomb the whammy bar.

At least that's my best guess. :)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's an electric guitar but I think its a No Name. All it says is "Series A" on the headstock. Unless that is the make.........

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Yeah it sounds like it either has or at one time had a floyd rose tremelo system installed... (Whammy bar) the nut looks similar to this?

Floyd Rose Nut

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yes, the nut is very similar to that.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Then it's a Floyd Rose or Kahler type locking system. What it does is this.

After you tune the guitar you "lock" the strings down. This let's you play normally and use the whammy bar to do those Eddie Van Halenesque dives with your bar, and when you release the bar and the strings come back up to their normal position they are still in tune.

That's about the extent of my knowledge on those. I'm not much of a whammy bar guy. My strat's trem it as tight and as flush to the body as I can get it so that my guitar is more like a hardtail. I'm actually thinking of having it blocked (ala clapton) so it won't move at all. :)

Anyway if you google Floyd Rose you can find plenty of information out there on the design and what it's supposed to do, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

TwistedFingers is correct, they keep the guitar in tune when you use the tremolo. Unlock them and use the bar and see how fast it goes out of tune.

ReplyQuote