Notifications
Clear all

Twangy string

22 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@jtrundl)
Topic starter  

Hi, have just restrung my acoustic for the first time, and having played for a day or so, the B string is seriously twanging when fretted on 1st, 2nd and 3rd frets. Is this just down to a poor restringing or bad strings?! (or both!)

There's only 1 Freddie Flintoff!

(@hawken)
Trusted Member

If it wasn't making that noise before I would guess that you may have done something wrong when you restrung it. It takes a little practice to get good at stringing your guitar.

Is it electric or acoustic? Classical or steel string?

If it's a steel string acoustic then check out this link.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/Stringing/ststringing1.html

ReplyQuote
(@jtrundl)
Topic starter  

Cheers Hawken - yeah it's a steel string acoustic. There was no twang when I bought the guitar, so guess it must be the way I've restrung it. Incidentally, I read somewhere that removing all strings before restringing can damage your guitar (something to do with tension?) - should this be done one string at a time?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You will not and cannot damage your guitar by removing all the strings.
I will now contradict myself by saying, that doing it carelessly with a stop tail, can lead to damage if the stop tail falls out of the holding studs and dents the top of the guitar.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@hawken)
Trusted Member

I've heard that also, but the guy who runs frets.com doesn't seem to have an issue with it and he is an experienced and respected luthier....so I would think that he would know.

That being said I still change mine one or two at a time (unless I'm cleaning my neck too, then I do 3 and 3).

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Did you change string guage?
If your setup was already on the low side a lighter string may just tip the scale to being too low.
Just a thought?
A guitar neck bows slightly from string tension, less tension less bow and lowered action.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it is ok to change all the strings at the same time. when I have all of mine off I can clean where I couldnt before.
dont store your guitar stringless.

twangy string. Im guessing becase more info would help.

new strings sound much brighter than old strings. taht kind of twangy?

twangy as in string buzz?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@bford)
Reputable Member

Incidentally, I read somewhere that removing all strings before restringing can damage your guitar (something to do with tension?) - should this be done one string at a time?

Seems to be an old wives tale that even some guitar makers adhere to. The Care and Feeding instructions that came with my Washburn D10 say to change them one at a time. Although, I strip them all off at once to better facilitate cleaning the fret board.
I would guess that Washburn is in the minority with regards to that thought.

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I have found no reason to believe that there is any potential of damaging the neck or anything else by removing all the strings at once when caution is used with moving parts. I recently had a Takamine sitting here with no strings on it for over a week and had no trouble with it.

The benefit in doing one or two strings at a time is more relevant on guitars that do have moving parts like a TOM bridge and tail piece that could fall off and/or go out of adjustment with no tension on it.

So, it is a matter of preference on how you want to do it more than anything. Personally, unless there is a real reason to have all off at the same time like maintenance or replacing a nut or something I always do one at a time.

Just my 2 cents worth :!:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@darrenl)

Incidently, what gauge string should beginers be using. I saw the comment on the relationship of action to gauge. I currently have Medium-Light on and think it may be giving me higher action than a beginner should be using.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

my comment on action and string gauge was maybe misunderstood.
Different string guage can and will change action but only slightly.
If you start with a very low action and change to a lighter gauge string it can cause buzzing.
If you feel your action is too high you should take it to a shop and have a proper setup done.
There is no "right" gauge string for a beginner, it is a matter of personal prefference.
Med Light? about a .012 gauge? That is what I started with and have played ever since.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Maybe a bad string if you overtightened by mistake and then backed off?

First thing I would replace the string first anyway.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Did you change string guage?
If your setup was already on the low side a lighter string may just tip the scale to being too low.
Just a thought?
A guitar neck bows slightly from string tension, less tension less bow and lowered action.

I'd agree with Missileman, that's quite a possibility. (But then with that avatar he's probably something of a Buzz expert.... :wink: )

I changed a set of strings earlier in the week and the new ones were fractionally lighter. The result was, as MM suggests, a smaller lowering of the action and a new buzz or two. I raised the action a touch and all was back to normal.

ReplyQuote
(@jtrundl)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input folks;
I bought my guitar with acoustic 10's and a medium (i think!) action. Missileman, would you suggest a move up to acoustic 12's next restringing to eradicate the twang? (by twang I mean string buzz!)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Thanks for the input folks;
I bought my guitar with acoustic 10's and a medium (i think!) action. Missileman, would you suggest a move up to acoustic 12's next restringing to eradicate the twang? (by twang I mean string buzz!)

10's on an acoustic is pretty light. The string buzz is probably due to neck relief since the 10's are probably not putting enough tension on the neck. If you go up to 11's or 12's you should be good to go. Strings are pretty cheap in the scheme of things so I would try 11's first.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2