0 Likes
(@jtrundl)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the suggestion Nils.....

There's only 1 Freddie Flintoff!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I get a simlar buzz on my electric guitar with the E string around the 7th fret. I think the string gauge is .010-.046. And the strings on it are the ones that were on it when I bought the guitar a month ago. Its always been doing this but I assumed it was supposed to since it was only a small buzz and the sound coming through the amp was clean. So its this buzz a problem? And if yes, will the same advice you gave jtrundl fix mine too?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I get a simlar buzz on my electric guitar with the E string around the 7th fret. I think the string gauge is .010-.046. And the strings on it are the ones that were on it when I bought the guitar a month ago. Its always been doing this but I assumed it was supposed to since it was only a small buzz and the sound coming through the amp was clean. So its this buzz a problem? And if yes, will the same advice you gave jtrundl fix mine too?

10's are probably correct for your electric and should not be giving you a problem. No, a buzz is not normal but as long as it is not bothering you or coming out of the amp then no big deal. You should however try to get rid of it. Since it is only a month old take it back to where you bought it and have them check the relief and action. Simple adjustment that they may even do while you wait.

If you want to tackle it yourself just raise the action (string height) ever so slightly on the side that is buzzing. There should be an adjuster screw on each side of the bridge to raise and lower the bridge height, or one for each string depending on the type of guitar. The book that came with the guitar should tell you how to raise and lower the bridge but typically right is down and left is up.

EDIT: By the way, don't rule out that you may just be hitting the string too hard.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Well I adjusted the bridge and it got rid of it. Though in some cases the buzz was caused by me pressing down too hard. But the sound is all clean now. Thanks a lot.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Well I adjusted the bridge and it got rid of it. Though in some cases the buzz was caused by me pressing down too hard. But the sound is all clean now. Thanks a lot.
Glad it worked out.

And if you have not already been welcomed to GN let me be the first to Welcome you

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I noticed that where in the fret I hold down the string can affect how if it buzzes. Like holding it in the middle opposed to just above the fret. Should it be doing that or should I adjust it more?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

if you fret too far away from the fret it will buzz no matter what your setup is.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2