question for instructors

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have a question on learning the guitar for my daughter. She just turned nine and wanted a guitar which we bought her the mini strat she wanted. She has trouble holding the strings and Tom (noteboat) gave me a tip to have her pratice runs on the 9th fret so she can get use to finger movement. We moved up to the B string last night and she was agian having trouble. I realize that she is not praticing enough, but I cannot seem to get this idea through to her. :( I have only given positive reinforcements and I am trying to be not the typical dad and be overbearing! I want this to be a positive experance for her. She was getting very frustrated last night and I was unsure how to help her last night :( I played the sequence very slow and showed her the notes, B, C, & D. We are working off the Hal Lenard book. Right now there are no instructor slots open and I am not sure she is ready as I cannot seem to convay to her to pratice. Any suggestions???
TIA

John M

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Maybe guitar just isn't the right thing for her right now? Kids (and adults :lol: ) often jump into new things with enthousiasm only to drop it just as quick. She just nine years old, you might want to drop it and just play yourself. If she has genuine interest she'll pick it up again when she keeps hearing you play, sooner or later. IMHO the worst thing that could happen is that you try too hard to make her like it, that usually works counter-effective.

Just some generalised words from me, for what it's worth.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Practice is a really tough thing for kids to do effectively. When you think about how teachers present stuff in school, most of what they do through about 4th of 5th grade focuses on fun - they watch filmstrips, participate in discussions, color in maps. Learning is almost secondary to activity... even though they do work on reading, writing, and math, they don't go at big blocks of time (and even in those subjects, they do fun stuff) until about grades 5-6.

I figure all those educators are probably on to something, and I don't stress practice time for students under about age 11. Instead, I tell them that you need to practice in little bits - just 5 or ten minutes at a time - but do at least 5 minutes every single day. If they feel like playing more, great... or if they feel like practicing two times (or ten times!) in a day, pick it up and do five minutes.

The arrangement of the guitar makes reading tough. The spacing of the frets makes first position hard to finger, and that's the logical place to start reading. At this point, I'd probably show her some 4 string chords:

3-0
0-1
0-0
0-2
x-x
x-x

for G and C, and get her used to strumming a bit. Keep working a little on reading, but it's just a part of learning to play.

Of the young beginners I've had start after Christmas this year, only one is up to the fifth string; most are on the 3rd or 4th; one is still on the 2nd. Most teens or adults would have mastered quarter notes in open position in the same amount of time. You really have to mix it up, but try not to get too far ahead in any one area.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks to both of you for the reply. I will try this short tatic and see what happens. She does like music and that does work out in her best intrest :)

John M

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

What's been suggested here before when considering really young players is to tune the guitar to an open chord. This way, your daughter will only have to worry about which fret to use to create a one-finger chord

You might find that's far more effective than trying to encourage regular practice which can come across as just nagging.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I think what you ought to do is let her practice when she wants. If she tells you shes frustrated, hint that maybe more praciticing would help. The most important thing is that she wants to do it on her own, without any pushing.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I was a little surprised that this had any effect, unlike when I was a kid I thought today's kids had moved beoynd this:

Anyway, my 8 year-old grandson and I are taking lessons. One day on the way home, he asked me why our guitar teacher didn't give out gold stars for good work. So, I went out and bought a sheet of star stickers and now, when he plays something well, our teacher gives him a star.

It seems to have helped keep his interest and, more importantly, spark him into practicing even when something is frustrating. We keep telling him that 5 or 10 minutes a day is fine for now, but since we started with the stars he often practices longer or several times a day.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Allan, thanks. Think we could try a "C" cord tonight using 1st open, 2nd at first fret and 3rd open. This would give us a triad if I remember right and a starting point. Thought I would try e minor next as this is 2 fingers

Taso, thanks also. I will let her go at her rate and we will see, but she wants perfection from the start :) . So now I point out all my mistakes that I make all the time to let her know that you have to work at it to get the music right.

PapaJohn, I like the sticker idea :o , I should have thought of something like that. I will work that angle also.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

Nothing against any beginner books that teach melody lines and individual notes of songs that a nine year old really doesn't want to play.... but always remember, it's got to be fun! The same is true of an adult beginner as well. And for that matter, I don't force myself to learn a new song if I don't care for it. I have to want to learn to play it to invest the time into it.

And besides, who in the band is playing a melody line in any modern pop, rock or country music heard on the radio or in a movie today anyway? It might be easier (maybe) but it's not getting them to playing what they want to play quickly enough in my opinion. And that's why so many give up. It's hard enough as it is, so anything to make it easier and more enjoyable is highly recommended.

Nobody buys a guitar to learn music theory, they buy the guitar to play songs he or she loves to hear. So the goal is to try to get them to that point as soon as possible which means chords. Simple fun songs with as few as chords and as few as chord changes as possible.

Songs like "I'm A Believer" that was huge for a third time in the movie Shrek is an example. The intro can be simplified as can G to C movement by using a Cadd9. Sure it won't sound like the original recording, but at least they are trying to play something they like, versus trying to play something that does not interest them... like "On Top of Old Smokey" note by note.

Music theory and other related stuff can be added little by little as you go. Developing finger coordination and toughing up the tips of the fingers is important.

Teaching the Beatles "Birthday" riff is a great exercise and hey, it's fun too! In fact, I'd like to start a thread in one of these forums to list simple fun songs that kids between the ages of 8 - 12 may actually want to learn.

Another cool thread or forum would be one that is dedicated to cool riffs of cool songs that when played, you know what it is right away. This way beginners can get a sense of accomplishment which will make them want to learn and play more.

Of course you can always ask the beginner too, "What songs or artists would you like to learn how to play?" You'd might be surprised with some of the answers you get, but don't forget them, and always remind them that is what we want to work towards. Heck sometimes it might be easy enough that you could get them practicing a song by an artist they actually listen to, sooner then you'd think.

I don't think that every student can't be expected to follow the exact same path to learning the guitar. Some learn faster and some learn slower. Some want to rock and some want the country. Some have an acoustic and some have an electric. Some are more interested in the music theory and some could care less.

It's amazing how hard a person will work on something if they really want it. And if they can't pick up a particular song right now, then move on to another, and another. They can always come back to it later. Teaching/learning a technique and then showing them how that is used in a song that they know is a great way to learn.

Shop around for teachers and don't be afraid to try different ones out, after you have a few lessons you should know if they are just running everybody through the exact same process or treating every student as the individual that they are. Many good teachers are not working out of a music store, but out of their home studios. So check the local newpapers (all of them) to see who's out there and ask around too. Ask other parents and ask musicians who they know that is giving beginner lessons. Some musicians may specialize in beginners and others may not want any beginners at all, so find out upfront what their comittment is.

And remember, if it was easy, we'd all be rock stars!

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

jonnyt, thanks. A lot to digest early this morinig :) . I agree on the beginners books. I was told by my instructor the Mel Bay book and it leaves a lot to be desired on my part. My 3rd lesson is tomorrow and I am going to bring this up. I see some of the points, but some songs I will not play. Not what I am paying $$ for, I will go for the basic lessons and to read music and learn scales. I have made progress and that in my book is a plus.
I am a believer intro would be a good start as we have Shrek I & II so she could work from that. I will try a "C" cord tonight after her homework is done and let her try that for a few days.
Cool idea on the thread for young beginners.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

Here's the intro as heard on The Monkees recording of the tune. The first part is keyboards arranged for guitar. You can skip the high E string and it still sounds really good. You can also move it down the fret board close to the nut and do it there too.

1/E |----13-13--12-12--10-|--------------------------------|
2/B |----15-15--13-13--12-|mute----------------------------|
3/G |-12-12-12--12-12--12-|--------------------------------|
4/D |-----------------|-----3-----3---3--------3-----3---3-|
5/A |-----------------|-3h5---3h5---3------3h5---3h5---3---|
6/E |---------------------|--------------------------------|

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@garytalley)
Trusted Member

I agree with the previous posts. I've been teaching for over 30 years, and I find there are very few 9 year-olds who really have the motivation to practice. I think teaching them to read notation at this stage is not the right approach. Learning simple songs with partial open chords is a better way usually. And if she's not interested, she's just not interested.

creator of #1 video"Guitar Playing for Songwriters"

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks jonnyt!!

Gary, thanks I will try that. Your right she does not want to do any pratice. So I do not want to force her, I want her to try on her own and enjoy the experance. I can wait. I will try the open cords this weekend and see what we get.

John M

ReplyQuote