Clear all

Question for the teachers

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@abeidson)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I now have 2 acoustic guitars.. one is set correctly.. and the other one that I just got has high action. I find that with the high action it seems to help with the finger strength and callous creation.. is it alright to switch between them currently until I have sufficient strength in my fingers or will this cause me problems in the future?

I wanna Rock N Roll all night... Ahh who am I kidding I'll be in bed at 9 pm....

(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

I am no teacher but it is quite difficult to play barre chords on a acoustic guitar with high action. I would suggest you to play with the one that is correctly set up. Strong, calloused fingers are a by-product of simply playing; no need to do separate drills to make em strong IMO.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@guitartutoronline)
Eminent Member

I've been teaching for about 15 years, when lessons come to me with a guitar that has a high action, I'm talking about 5mm at the nut & 10 mm at the last fret, I will defiantly encourage them to get it professionally lowered. When a professional does it they should lower it enough so that it doesn't buzz and rattle too much and yet is easy to play.

Sometimes some guitars are just too bad and there can be no compromise found. If this is the only guitar you have then persevere with it until you can buy a new one. It will not affect the bigger picture of your playing.

I remember when I first stood up and played with a strap on my guitar, man that was different. I thought to myself then "how do they do this?" The truth is that people adapt quickly and as you play for more years it won't matter if you go from a heavy gauge high action acoustic to a light gauge, low actioned electric, it will just be the length of time that changes for you to adjust from one to the other.

Remember, If it was meant to be easy everybody would be a great guitarist.

Learn more at http://www.guitartutoronline.com

ReplyQuote