Clear all

starting out

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

guy's what a great web site! hey i'm 45 and wanting to learn to play have alaways loved the axe just never went for it. so do i go acoustic or electric ?. have herd i should learn with a steel string acoustic than power up latter. any input would be great.... tim

Cash is cool

(@fiberoptik)
Estimable Member

Tim:
I believe the general consensus is to play whatever instrument will keep you movtivated the most. Although starting out on an acoustic will help you develop hand strength and calouses quicker.
Personally, I started out on an acoustic, only for a week or two. I was lucky enough to get a great deal on a decent instrument, so I picked up the acoustic while I was waiting for my electric to arrive. I still play both. The acoustic has a warmth my electric just cant touch. But few things are as satisfing as belting out a lead at 200 bpm :twisted:
Infact do yourself a favor and just get both. Everyone should have more than one guitar. :D

By the way..
Welcome to the site...

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the reply, i have been looking at a fender dg21-s.feels pretty good and looks nice for whatever thats worth,but man i love the sound of a telecaster i can see one of those babies in my future 8) . think i will be spending $$ in the morning. what a great site

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I started with an electric but picked up an acoustic before long - glad I did, I like playing them both.

There's a few of us around here in your boat - starting in their 40's - good to see another one.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

As long as you practice enough, I don't really think it matters. One nice thing about starting on an acoustic is that usually its cheaper (no amp to buy) so if you decide that geetar just isn't your thing, you didn't blow much money.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote