(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi people

I'm 41 just bought my very first guitar ( electric ) Ashton beginners pack

came with a 25 amp picks strap bag and other little bits and pieces

have been learning A/C/D/E/G/EM/

Have fairly sore fingers and bought myself a Metronome / Tuner

been trying to play " Kiss an Angel Good morning " because I was told it was really easy .

question is "How does one go from chord to chord without stopping ?

been trying for months every time I have to stop change finger position and start again ?

very frustrating !!!

I have always wanted to play the Axe but was always too scared to try

see ya 's

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hello,
I am 45 and started just over 3 months ago.
Chord changes come easier with time and alot of practice.
Don't be afraid to strum a few open strings while transitioning to the next chord. It will help keep your rhythm going.

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Definitely not alone in that age group, I was 43 when I bought my first guitar.

Don't worry about how quickly you can make the changes right now. It's better to be able to make them cleanly and in tempo, even if it's much slower than the song. The spped comes with time and practice.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

Maybe we need a old codgers corner. I'm right there with you at 46. I'm comming back to guitar after a 25 year layoff. I've been picking banjo fairly regularly and picked up a Epiphone electric and it's coming back quicker than I would have imagined....that is with the help of the lessons on this site and a handfull of books.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@lenny56)
Eminent Member

OK, I got you all trumped with the age thing.
I'm 48 and just picked up a guitar this week.
Fingers are sore but I'm committed to learning this thing.
The payoff's are too good not to stick with it.
I also don't see how to switch from chord to chord.
Right now, my goal is merely to learn the chords one at a time without any buzzing or fingers touching other strings.
Good to know I'm not alone with regard to the age thing.
Lenny

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Lots of us geezers around here.

Just keep working at the song. All the advice about chord changing is right on target.

Eventually muscle memory takes over and you'll begin to change chords without thinking about it. That's when the changes start to become smoother. Once you've played a change about 501 times. It will happen.

And welcome to the musical madhouse!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@jimiraysantana)
Eminent Member

Hello Hilch

I started about 10 months ago and I'm 44 so you're definately not alone. As well as the good advice already given, I'd recommend checking out the lessons on this site. I found them to be more helpful than any book I bought.

Dave

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

Wow..now I don't feel as bad. I just turned 42 on Sunday, and have only been playing a few months myself. :)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

There are a lot of advantages to learning guitar at an older age.

1. You can probably concentrate a lot better than a 13 year old.
2. You are probably not just learning to pick up chicks.
3. You can probably afford a nicer guitar.
4. You can see the value of lessons.
5. You know how to organize your time.
6. There are probably a bunch of other geezers you know who you can jam with.
7. Schoolwork won't get in the way.
8. You are probably wiser than the 13 year old.
9. You have half a lifetime of experience to give you material to write songs about.
10. When you learn to play the blues, I guarantee you have a better feeling of what they are about than that 13 year old.
11. Older learners are more likely to stick with what they are learning.

I'm sure there are more.

ReplyQuote
(@wtheriault49)

Hi, I just got my first electric guitar for Christmas. Have been fooling around with an acoustic for the last year. Oh, did I mention I am 50 years old.

Wayne

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

42 years old here and I am sticking with it after 2 years and a spotty start. Hitting things hard every single day now, I always make some time for it.

I know it is very hard to believe at first, but the day will come when you can switch chords immediately in that tiny, tiny pause in between strums! I promise you that! It takes time but what a feeling when you can do it and it sounds like music!!!!!

Another thing that is also true.....when you develop your fingertips into hard pads that can fret strings without the buzzing and the muscle memory needed to form the next chord almost without thinking about it and can do it with a few chords...........everything new after that happens much faster! The learning curve becomes much, much shorter for the new things you throw into the mix. When you cross that threshold after paying your initial dues, you will be smiling all the time in your practice as the quality of your playing gets better each week that passes! :D

Enjoy! :wink:

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Nick,

Your list is right on the money except for #2.

I still did it for that, it's just the girls are alot older now.

Nothing like impressing a few chicks at the retirement home with a little Metallica.

Happy New Year

Chris

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

"Nothing like impressing a few chicks at the retirement home with a little Metallica. "

:) :) :)

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@painthorses)
Eminent Member

Hey All, Thought I'd put my 2 cents in on the geezer thang, I'm 43 and have been seriously tryin ta learn for the past year. Got a BUNCH of books , I thought I'd find some miracle book that would some how put the ability in me. AND IT NEVER HAPPENED. So I decided I'd have to learn like every body else. The brite side to it all is that I found this site and all the people that are happy ta help. When I have a question I know where ta get the answer!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Unfortunately there is no magical way to learn, no book, no secret tip no drill nothing except practice and perseverance.

But it's a never ending process. You never know or can play everything you want and you will constantly strive to play better etc.

As long as you know where you want to go you'll get there.

When I started about 2 1/2 or so years ago all I wanted was to be able to play some songs and jam with some buddies.

But now that I'm kinda at that point I really have changed my goals. I really want to eventually play in some type of band etc. I've played team sports all my life and up until a year ago I still was playing organized basketball, but tearing my ACL kind of stopped that at least for awhile and I miss that interaction.

I was visiting up in CT where I'm from over the holidays and put together a jam session up there and had about 7-8 musicians and it was great. I want to take that type of energy/fun and do it in public. I still have a ways to go to get a decent set list but I'm working on it.

No matter what age your at the saying is true your never to old.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5