Clear all

reading music

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@youngrawker)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

ok well, I want to learn how to read music since it will help me out alot with playing guitar....and I wanted to know if anyone knew any good books about reading music or anything like that (preferably not online stuff though...).

Thanx
Y.R.

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Aaron Shearer. Learning The Classical Guitar, Part Two.

ReplyQuote
(@youngrawker)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

^whats that???

ReplyQuote
(@dj-glox)

A book I would assume.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Any method book will get you there.

the Berklee method book is very good, but if you know nothing about reading music you'll have to work pretty hard the first few pages.

Mel Bay's Method books have been around forever and work well.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Both Bay and Leavitt's Berklee series (and Shearer, for that matter) teach reading through teaching technique.

Many people find Bay boring, Shearer and Leavitt a bit less so - because Bay's music is public domain stuff, and you have to start with basics. You'll be doing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and all that. Shearer/Leavitt did their own music for the most part, so it's at least new to your ears.

If you've already got technique, you're willing to spend the time going through sheet music, and just need a guide for how that relates to the guitar, you might try Leon White's Sight to Sound. It'll give you enough foundation to get you working on your own.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote