Clear all

Reading Standard Notation

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarninja)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I can play violin so I know how to read music. I've started learning guitar and when I look at music I dont know where the notes are on the guitar. How can I convert what I know from violin into guitar?

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, all you basically need to learn is what note each fret is. Coming from violin that should not be too tricky although it will require more concentration initially. Check this:

http://www.cyberfret.com/first-fret/note-names/index.php

Oh, welcome to GN!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's pretty basic.

Guitar music is written an octave higher than it sounds (so everything fits on the treble clef). That might mess with your ear a bit in the beginning.

The strings are also tuned 'backwards' from a violin - you've got GDAE, we've got EADGBE (lowest to highest). Mostly in fourths instead of fifths, with a major third between the 2nd & 3rd strings - that's to put the whole tuning in two octaves.

Every fret is one half step. I've written a couple articles in the Lessons section on reading in first position - I'll get to higher positions pretty soon.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@dontfret)

...you should check out the Tom Serb lessons in the beginners section - standard notation part #1 and #2 I think they are called. They do a good job explaining what the notes represent on the fret board - I found it very helpful.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarninja)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thx 4 help. Now all i gotta do is practice. :wink:

ReplyQuote