Topic starter  

I'm having some trouble with this riff from Red Flag by Kittie:

D|----------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------|
F|----------------------------------|
C|-------7--------5--------8--5--7--|
G|-0-0-0-5--0-0-0-3--0-0-0-6--3--5--|
C|-0-0-0----0-0-0----0-0-0----------|

When I strum the C5 on the 4th and 5th strings and the Bb5, the 6th string is still ringing and makes the chord kind of muddy.

Also, is there any reason not to play the riff like this?

D|---------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------|
F|---------------------------------------|
C|---------------------------------------|
G|-0-0-0-12--0-0-0-10--0-0-0-13--10--12--|
C|-0-0-0-12--0-0-0-10--0-0-0-13--10--12--|

(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

not sure how i'm gonna explain this but i'll give it a shot,

you gotta use your left hand to mute that/those strings. i don't know the song or at what tempo it's played. But that's what i'd do or start with. that section i guess is not palmuted otherwise you would have the poblem youre talking about, but you could still mute it with youre palm just enough to stop the note from ringing out, but without making sound 2 chugga chugga - LOL - if you know what i mean.

hope it makes sence.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

If I understand you correctly.

First, you need to be able to miss the 6th string if want to progress as a guitarist. I'm not saying you shouldn't change the way you play it (Second tab) but, you won't always be able to do that. The voicing might not always match but, in this case they do.

If the song is calling for mutes, I would mute the opens with my palm and mute the 6th string with my index finger (just in case I do strike it) and the rest with my palm. Just lean your index finger over until you just touch the 6th string.

When you start to play stuff fast, you have to have control over yourself. You can't go slamming away. It may look like your favorite guitarist is doing so but, there is many years of control built into what they are doing.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I don't know the song, and I didn't want to go all the way don to drop C....

but the second way of playing it should sound exactly the same as the first - whether you play the C5 as x57, or 12-12, it'll still be an octave higher than the 00 C5 you started with...

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote