Topic starter  

How do I play somthing like this:

------2-------
--------------
--------------
------3------
--------------
--------------

(I know this probably isn't a real tab or whatever, but it is just an example that I am using)
I can't play both strings at the same time with the pick...
Am I making any sense? My husband though that you use the pick for one and a finger for the other string? But what does he know...

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Looks like he knows enough :)

If you're not fingerpicking, the best solution is called hybrid picking - you use the pick, held between your thumb and index finger, for the bass note... and you pick the upper note with the middle or ring finger.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@kalishea)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Oh how I hate it when he's right! :D
So I actually have to hold the pick differently with this? If I understand right, I would hold the pick for the -----2----- and use my other finger for the -----3-----because that's the only way they would reach, correct?
Thanks for the help!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You shouldn't need to hold the pick differently - as a rule, the pick should only be held by the index finger and thumb. Some people use the thumb on one side, and the index and middle on the other side... but I think this limits control.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Assuming that the '2' is on the High E, you would play that with the pick. I think it may be better for you to not use the pick in this case, and just use 2 fingers, but that would depend onthe rest of the song... What song did you want to know this for?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote